When Would Sclerotherapy for the Legs Be Needed Again?

Are varicose veins going to reoccur? How often is sclerotherapy repeated on patients?

Sclerotherapy is performed as needed

+1
Sclerotherapy may be needed if you develop new varicose or reticular or spider veins. As you age, other veins can form and this is because all veins have valves and valve failure locally results in blood pooling which engorges veins. The need for additional sclerotherapy does not indicate 'failure' but it is a result of the normal aging process and lack of preventive measures - not wearing stockings, not exercizing calf muscles to help the calf pump, using exogenous hormones (birth control pills), aging, sun damage, etc. 

Buffalo General Surgeon

Frequency of Sclerotherapy

+1

Thank you for your question. Sometimes more than one sclerotherapy may be required and usually follow up every 6-8 weeks. I would recommend wearing compression stockings for at least 2-3 weeks after the treatment. Spider veins can reoccur but in a different area. Some do maintenance every couple of years or longer. If it's a bulging varicose veins, I would recommend consulting with a vascular surgeon. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Sclerotherapy

+1

After sclerotherapy treatment, the veins will eventually return.  It is recommended to have additional treatment for maintenance.

Sam Naficy, MD

Sclerotherapy every 2-4 weeks

+1

We recommend sclerotherapy every 2-4 weeks until the veins are gone.  Some patients develop new veins and need to be treated again when this occurs.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Are varicose veins going to reoccur?

+1

Yes, varicose veins can return. However ,I have treated some small vessels that have not returned. This procedure is repeated every 2-6 months until the vessels have resolved which typically takes 3-6 times. Yearly maintenance injections recommend.

Barbara Bopp, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

It varies with their number....

+1

Sclerotherapy can help minimize spider veins that are present. It is variably effective and can be repeated at intervals to get better results. Repetition at 6-8 week intervals is not uncommon. 

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Leg Veins Usually Require Several Treatments Spaced 4 to 6 Weeks Apart

+1

Sclerotherapy is a great technique for treating most veins of the lower extremities. However, as is the case with many cosmetic treatments, optimal results are usually achieved with several treatments (2 to 4) spaced about 4 to 6 weeks apart.  Once those results are attained and the majority of veins that can be treated have disappeared, we leave it up to the patient to decide when it is time to come back, which is usually not until the patient starts to notice new veins developing. The time frame varies depending on contributing factors such as weight, hormones, genetics, pregnancies, mobility and exercise. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

When do you need repeat treatments for spider veins

+1

When it comes to spider vein treatment, one session is almost never enough and most patient require multiple treatments to achieve the results they are looking for 

I always leave it up to my patients to come back when they feel that they have developed new spider veins and they bother them enough to have them addressed

Sometimes patients will need multiple treatments for the same area

I always ask my patients to come and see me 6 weeks after their treatment to determine how well the treatment work and see if they would like to have more treatments 

Normally, the treatments can be repeated every 4-8 weeks

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon