Has Sclerotherapy ever caused Blindness? Or Vision Problems?

I have developed blue prominent temple veins, I know they can be treated with Sclerotherapy and I have read all about the concerns about Blindness and Vision Problems. My Questions: 1) Is this true and is it reported in the medical literature? 2) Can Sclerotherapy back flow to an artery? For this to happen the veins would have to be connected directly to the arteries? 3) Are the blue temple veins connect to the eyes? Do they flow into or drain from the eyes? Thank You.

Sclerotherapy and visual disturbances

+1
Foam sclerotherapy can in rare caases be associated with migraine headaches and temporary visual disturbances which in most cases is self limiting and resolves within hours. 

Buffalo General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy and Vision Problems?

+1

Thank you for your question. For veins around the eyes, I recommend seeing an Opthamologist and have them evaluate your veins, and which ones are a good choice to remove, if at all. Some may not be a good choice so you will want to listen to their advice, and follow it. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon