I'm Scheduled For a Tummy Tuck While I'll Be On My Cycle, Should I Reschedule Surgery?

I am scheduled to have a tummy tuck while I am on my cycle, should I postpone the surgery or just go through with it?

Tummy tuck Timing?

Just go through with it–should not pose any issues for your surgeon or the quality of your results.

Cosmetic Surgery While Menstruating

In our San Francisco Bay Area practice we do not require patients to reschedule their procedures due to menstruation. Cosmetic surgeries we perform do not involve the uterus so delaying treatment for this reason is unnecessary.

As always, all questions regarding medical issues and surgery should be discussed with your Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to surgery.

No need to postpone surgery because of your cycle

There is no medical reason to postpone surgery because it coincides with your menstrual cycle.  The medical staff taking care of you are prepared for these sorts of issues.  If you have breast tenderness or swelling as part of your cycle, you may notice a slight increase in discomfort following breast surgery.

Tummy tuck and menstrual cycle

There are no known increased risks of complications with having surgery during menstruation or at any other time of your cycle.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Do not reschedule tummy tuck because you are having your period.

All things being equal, you may have a bit more swelling and a tiny bit more discomfort with surgery while having your menstrual period, but this poses no increased risk or trouble for you or your surgeon. This is slightly more of an issue with breast surgery (more swelling and discomfort possible), but with tummy tucks this really does not seem to ever be an issue. So many women have irregular periods, or the stress and anxiety before surgery triggers an early menstrual flow, that rescheduling ends up creating MORE stress and overall trouble than it prevents!

Place a fresh tampon the morning of surgery, bring a spare or three with you to the surgery center, and notify the nurses caring for you. They are well-versed in helping you deal with this, and it poses no concern or risk. Let your surgeon know, and he or she will reassure you as well--we hear this all the time! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Menstruation while having tummy tuck should not be a problem

Although it may be inconvenient to have your menstruation begin when you are having your tummy tuck procedure, it should not cause a problem and you do not need to reschedule.  If you have unusually heavy periods, then it might be a consideration to reschedule.  If so, you should check your hematocrit to see that it is within normal range.  Also, you should check to see that you do not have any unusual bleeding disorders prior to surgery.

James Tang, MD

Tummy tuck and menstrual cycles

Tummy tuck during your period can be an inconvenience, though there should be no problem with surgery. We have heard that some are worried that they may be more prone to bleeding from surgery itself though this is not the case. The stresses of surgery can often bring on your period sooner than expected, again not a problem. Do what you feel is best for you.

Tummy tuck during period

There is no reason to reschedule your surgery other than comfort.  Many women worry about this prior to surgery without reason.  Handling your menstrual cycle during surgery is routine.  Your cycle should not affect your surgery or the OR personnel in the least.  Good luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Having a tummy tuck while still having your period does not present any significant medical issues

There is no critical medical reason to reschedule your tummy tuck surgery just because you will be having your period. So - just proceed as you already have scheduled.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Tummy tuck during menstrual cycle

There is no reason to move your surgery date because of your menstrual cycle.  It will not have any impact on the performance of the procedure.  Frequently, menstrual cycles will start early after surgery.  As long as you are comfortable with your self care you can proceed.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon