Will It Be Safe to Go to a Spa Treatment 2 Months After a Tummy Tuck, Breast Reduction?

I will like to have a massage, maybe steam room or go to the swimming pool.. Can I?

Spa ok 2 months after tummy tuck with no complications

+1
Thank you for your post. In general, your incisions need to be perfect, all drains removed and the drain site healed perfect, and the muscle repair needs to be mature with no areas of fluid collection. If the incisions are not perfect, or drain site, then you are at risk of infection in pools, hot tubs, oceans/lakes. You don't have to have perfect incisions to shower, just not submerge in bath or the above. However, I ask my patients to wear their abdominal binder non-stop, except for showers, for at least 4 weeks, so unless you want to hang out at the beach with your binder, then no beach.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Spa Treatment 2 Months After a Tummy Tuck, Breast Reduction?

+1

Yes, you should be fine for the spa 2 months after surgery. At this point in your recovery you can get back to normal activities provided everything is healed up.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Swimming and spa after tummy tuck

+1

If your incisions are adequately healed, you should be able to go into a swimming pool or spa at two months. You may even be able to do this earlier but you need to be evaluated by your plastic surgeon to ensure you are adequately healed because there can be a lot of bacteria in pools and jacuzzis.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Spa, steam, massage, swim safe 2 months after tummy tuck and breast reduction? YES, but . . .

+1

Assuming you have healed uneventfully, all your skin incisions and the muscle repairs have healed adequately and strongly. Scar tissue is not yet mature, softened, and faded maximally--that will take 6-12 months. As long as your scars are pink, they should NOT be exposed to ultraviolet of any type (sun or tanning bed) or else your scars can turn dark and will remain permanently so.

Also, your sensation has not returned completely, so you do NOT have the normal protective response to too-hot temperatures, and could burn and blister breast or abdominal skin that is still numb. I'd consider avoiding the super-hot sauna or steam room for now, just to be on the safe side.

But, your abdominal muscle repair is durable, so as long as you are not kickboxing or doing full-contact tackle football at your spa event, you should be fine, even for starting to work out gradually.

Otherwise, you should check with your surgeon, who has your best interests at heart, not on-line consultants who have not seen or monitored your progress. Enjoy your well-deserved spa day!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Safety of a Spa Treatment 2 Months After a Tummy Tuck, Breast Reduction?

+1

If you are healed (as per your Plastic surgeon) there is no reason why you cannot resume all normal activities. Enjoy!

Peter A Aldea, MD

Post op day at the spa?

+1

Plastic surgery is an art form and all of us will have different answers.  It is always best to "dance with the one who brung you".   I bet your PS who knows you and how your recovery went,  would be the best person to answer you.  Best wishes

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Questions about spa and physical activities 8 weeks after a tummy tuck and breast reduction

+1

Whether or not you can go to a spa, a steam room and even go swimming are questions that need to be answered by your surgeon; after all, he/she operated on you and knows your situation. Every physician has a different protocol which can also very among patients due to a variety of factors.

So ... go ask your surgeon.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Spa treatment 2 months after surgery

+1

You should be adequately healed at 2 months if you had no complications.  Discuss with your surgeon to insure that there is no contraindication.  Donald R. Nunn MD   Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Spa Treatments after Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction (Mommy Makeover)

+1

Plastic surgeons have different philosophies about how and when to normalize activity after surgery.  If the healing process goes without any problems I allow patients to be in a swimming pool after all the inciosions are well healed (3-4 weeks) and use their arms for freestyle swimming a liiltle at 4 weeks and normaly at six weeks.  I think that post operative massage is a good idea as a comfort measure while the body still has some stiffness or swelling from surgery which can persist for several months.  Lying on the chest may be uncomfortable at two months, but should not harm the result.  A steam bath dilates vessels and may increase swelling in the surgical areas for 3-6 months.  As long as you don't mind having some swelling it is not going to interfere with your longterm outcome.  Enjoy your day at the spa!

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Massage after surgery

+1

This is a question I think you should ask your surgeon. Every surgeon has their own recovery do's and don'ts. Personally, I think laying on your breasts 2 months after surgery is too soon.