Does Scarring Ever Fade Completely After a Breast Lift? (photo)

I'm in my young 20's and would like a lift. It has been noted to me that I have breast ptosis (genetic I assume..no children). I also feel I have large nipples. What type of lift would be best for me from what you can see in the picture and with the least scarring? I see all these pictures with a scar around the nipple and under the breasts...does this ever go away, if so, how long does it take to 100% disappear (if ever 100%)? My goal picture is also below...looks natural and even.

Do scars disappear?

+1
Scars fade over the course of a year or two for most patients, but they will always be visible to some extent.  For that reason it is important to place the scars in discrete locations if possible, such as around the areolas and in the creases below the breasts.

Breast Lift Scarring

+1

Unfortunately, breast lift surgery can’t be performed without scarring. How much scarring occurs is dependent upon the patient’s anatomy and wound healing characteristics.

It’s hard to know which breast lift option will create the least noticeable scars without performing a physical exam. The shortest incision isn’t necessarily the best incision. The incision has to be long enough to adequately address breast sag and excess skin without creating contour irregularities. Failure to address excess skin can result in distortion of the breast and poor scar quality.

It’s important that each patient’s procedure be individualized to address their specific anatomy. The length of the scar is far less important than the contour of the breast and the quality of the scars.

Scarring is a part of any surgical procedure, but occasionally scarring is excessive. This may be related to surgical considerations, but is more often related to wound healing biology. If adverse scarring occurs, scar revision may be necessary.

If your considering breast lift surgery, it’s important to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss which option is best for you. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Scars

+1

I see what we call a vertical breast lift for you. This means the final scar is like a lollipop.  There will always be surgical scars but they will fade over time.  If you really would like your breast reshaped, lifted, and the areolas reduced, then this is the way to go.  If the looks of the faded scars still bother you, then consider tattooing them flesh colored to help blend with the surrounding skin.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Scarring after breast lift? (photos)

+1

The scar is a necessary trade off to reduce surface to volume ratio of the ptotic breast, restoring a more robust, attractive, feminine shape.  There are well established measures to minimize the scar burden, and to conceal the resulting scars.  Scars fade significantly with the passage of time.

From your photos, my choice would be standard "vertical" mastopexy, producing scar along your areolar margin and from the bottom of your areola straight down to your inframammary crease, or perhaps slightly curved down to the crease.

The reason you see scars on most before &after photos on the web is... when do you believe most surgeons shoot those "after" photos?  RIGHT YOU ARE, usually 1-3 or 4 months after surgery, which is the last office follow up many breast lift patients show up for.  Scars mature and fade considerably for several YEARS after breast lift, but at 3-4 months, scars are still fresh, actively metabolizing, still red and/or dark, and quite visible in photos.  Honest plastic surgeons like posting these early results so prospective patients will know where to expect scars, and will therefore not be surprised.  One to three year post surgical results would confirm that many scars that are visible from a distance at 3 months essentially disappear by three years.  Upon close examination, the scars are there, but not usually from a distance.  If scars do become problematic, they can always be revised to diminish their visibility.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast lift

+1

You have a bit of an unusual situation in that you have disproportionately large areola diameter even though your breast are not that large volume-wise. In addition, the areola are not centralized and so the typical vertical scar technique has to be customized to your specific anatomical landmarks. This might mean a slight different location of the scar from the straight vertical location.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast lift scars

+1

A breast lift will help you to reduce the size of the nipple areolar complex and improve the shape of the breast. A lift will not restore or create upper pole fullness  which you would benefit from without the addition of a breast implant or fat grafting to the breast. The scar pattern for you would most likely involve an incision around the areola and vertically down the center of the breast to the breast fold. There is a possibility of a small incision in the fold depending on the amount of lift required which would only be determined by a formal consultation. As far as scar quality, you are fair skinned and should heal beautifully. I would never claim or promise that a scar would ever be 100% imperceptible but the scar around the areola  is camouflaged by the color change of the skin. The vertical incision is under little to no tension and diminishes in appearance over time. The photos you see on websites are a  good representative sample of how incisions heal. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to help you with your decision. Good luck

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Breast lifts and scars

+1

There are two issues here. Your picture suggests the need for a lift but the other picture looks like a lift and an augmentation. 

The best procedure to lift, centralize the nipple-areola, and reduce the areola size would be a true lift of the glandular breast rather than some sort of periareolar or skin dependent lift. This can be done with a "vertical" approach and a lollipop scar, but requires experience on the part of the surgeon. The scar would be around the areola and from the areola down to the inframammary crease and does not need an implant for volume. 

The best a plastic surgeon can do is tell you where the scar will be and why and that he or she will do everything they know of to make the scar end up as minimal as possible. Ultimately scar formation and looks is up to how you heal and mature scars. There is no guarantee of outcome. You have to feel comfortable with the improvement and the tradeoff of the scar. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Scars are permanent but can be done right

+1

Scars are an inevitable part of nearly all plastic surgical procedures.  The appearance of those scars and their ability to fade are based on numerous factors including delayed wound healing, infection, diabetes, genetic tendency, inadvertent postop trauma, or sun exposure.  This is only a short list of factors.  Typically, experienced plastic surgeons are most qualified to give you the best scars and to deliver the best possible results with a procedure such as a breast lift.  With that said, most mastopexy (breast lift) procedures do produce the type of scars you describe, especially the one around the arreola.  There are certain measures to take postoperatively that will increase your chances of having a good scar that will fade over time.  Scars typically take 12-18 months to fully mature and soften.  I routinely follow my patients over the entire course of scar maturation and beyond, so that I can ensure the best result possible.  

Every plastic surgeon will have his/her own regimen for producing good scars.  Just make sure that whoever does your breast lift also has a long-term scar management plan in place to ensure the best outcome.

Andre Panossian, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Scars are permanent

+1

All scars are permanent but in some patients they will fade to being almost invisible.  In others, they may remain more visible.  The lighter your skin tone the more invisible they generally become.  This cannot be predicted or guaranteed for any patient but are just general guidelines.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Scars

+1

Scars are permanent structure in the skin and can be seen throughout life. Scarring is different in different places and at different ages. They do fad over time but are still there. The scars with breast lift are designed to be as least evident as possible.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon