Can an Uplift Be Done Without the Anchor Scar?

I have implants already but still have a small amount of excess skin that I am not happy about. I do not want bigger implants than I already have. I'm am 26 and do not really want the anchor scar from an uplift cut around the nipple. Can an uplift be done in any other way?

Breast lift options

+2

The short answer to this question is "yes".  A more detailed answer would be to review the three main surgical patterns or scar patterns for a breast lift. One scar pattern for the breast lift would involve only a crescent shaped scar around the top of the areola (nipple) or a scar around the entire edge of the nipple, in a circular fashion.  An additional option would be a peri-areolar scar or a scar around the edge of the areola with a vertical scar down to the breast crease.

Toledo Plastic Surgeon

ALWAYS avoid the anchor scar

+2

Yes, a lift can be done without an anchor scar or without a vertical scar.  The alternate technique results in a scar only around the areola.  Patients with implants often need the implants lifted too. This can be acomplished by making the pocket higher. If what you really have is 'excess skin' then, that excess skin can be removed by doing a donut mastopexy. If however, what you are needing is for your own breast tissue to be lifted, then it too can be acomplished by making an incision around the areola and stratigically placing permanent sutures into your 'low lying' breast tissue to drape it over your newly raised implant. What looks the best is the implant, breast tissue and nipple all aligned in the same horizontal plane high on the chest wall.  This can all be done through one incision that is hidden at the areola skin junction.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Scar

+2

While a breast lift will lead to a scar, the degree of ptosis and the breast lift approach taken will influence the type of incision and consequently scar.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Mastopexy concerns

+2

A mastopexy using a Lollipop type incision may be an alternative or even  donut lift of the areola in some cases. Without an exam, I could not guess. You should go for a consultation.

Mastopexy

+2

The type of scar depends on the degree of ptosis present.  There are several types of lifts, and each have different scars.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Choices in breast lift surgery

+2

depending upon your degree of sagging there may be many options for you.   It is possible that a doughnut type breast lift or possibly a lollipop type breast lift would be appropriate.  A thorough evaluation would be needed to give you appropriate advise.   

Scar Pattern Choices for a Breast Lift

+2

There are many ways to create a breast lift.  If only a small amount of skin needs to be removed, it is possible to have a "dough-nut" lift with a scar at the junction between the areola and normal skin.  If more skin is removed a "lolli-pop" scar pattern is the next choice.  Usually the scar from a lolli-pop goes straight down the middle, but it can also be directed to the lower outer quadrant.  An anchor pattern is used when there is a great deal of excess skin.  You may be able to get a lift with a shorter scar pattern that will be worth the tradeoff.  good luck!

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Mastopexy / Breast Lift Incisions

+2

The incisions used really depend on the anatomy of the patient.  If there is minimal skin, then you may only need the vertical incision.  However, without seeing pictures or evaluating you in person, it is impossible to give you specific advice.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Breast Lift Scars

+2

You have expressed a typical concern that I hear from many women who are thinking about a breast lift.  From your description it is probably unlikely that you would require a full anchor incision but only an exam can determine that for certain. My experience is similar to that already expressed in that most patients are willing to accept a scar, which frequently will fade over time, provided the breast shape and laxity is improved.  It really is not a good solution to do a minimal lift, such as an incision limited to the top of the areola or around the edge of the areola, if a larger incision is needed to achieve the necessary tightening and lift. 

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy without anchor scar

+2
THere are a variety of methods for mastopexy. You would need to be seen in consultation to determine which would be most suitable for you. Given that you have already undergone an augment, consider the scarring from that operation. If your scars have healed nicely, then I would recommend that you focus more on the correct procedure to produce the amount of lift necessary.

Robert L. Kraft, MD