Can a Crater Deformity Be Fixed After Gynecomastia by Going to Gym?

when i bend my nipples and my chest sink. can be fixed by going to gym?

Deformity correction after gynecomastia surgery

Hello and thank you for the question.

This is a common sequelae, especially in men who have large gynecomastia masses requiring resection.  Your options are to perform lipoplasty in the surrounding area to blend in the deformity, to perform a fat transfer into the deformed area, or a combination of both. This correct treatment or combination will depend on the severity of your deformity.  Consult with Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation and to discuss your options. 

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Gynecomastia

Over resection can be a problem to correct. The gym will not improve it. SOmetimes lipsuctin of the periphery helps or even fat grafting

A posted photo showing this deformity would allow us to answer better. I bet the gym will not correct this. 

Crater after gynecomastia

This condition can occur if too much of the breast tissue has been removed. No amount of exercise will improve this. Fat injections once healing is coplete may help.

Morad Tavallali, MD
Vienna Plastic Surgeon

Crater deformity after gynaecomastia correction

This is probably due to excessive liposuction or excision.  I would give it at least 6 months as mild contour irregularities will often even out.  It is due to removal of too much fat, so I am afraid that exercise will not improve it.  The best way to fix it would be fat transfer.  Good luck.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

This is called DISH deformity.

The proper treatment is fat transfer..Excercise will not improve it.

Repair of crater deformity after gynecomastia

Yes, the crater deformity can be fixed.  Building the muscle behind it by going to the gym might help if the crater is very shallow and there is body fat to be lost and muscle to be built through diet and excercise.  If that does not do it, fat grafting of the crater or completion of excision of all of the gladular tissue if some gladular tissue on the periphery was left behind.

Dr. Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Crater Deformity

Hi milad,

Thanks for the post. A crater deformity is caused by either over-resection of tissue or scar tethering, or both.  Going to the gym to build the pectorals muscle will not correct a crater deformity caused by over-resection.  This is because the pectoralis muscle will increase in size evenly, meaning that it will not be bigger in the area where the tissue was resected, which is what would be needed to fill the defect.  Fat flaps or fat grafting will be required. 

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

The short answer is no.  Contour deformity may likely require revision liposuction or fat grafting.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS