Treatment for Scars Left After Acne Surgery?

I don't know if you understand exactly what a doctor did to me. I think the procedure I had is called acne surgery. I am not sure if the alternate name is comedone extraction--he used needle anyway. He convinced me that he should do this to me. From the first time, my face became totally red, and there was blood everywhere in my face. This situation continued for 3 treatments more (continued breaking the new spots). I changed doctor and did therapy of minaxen pills. Now, I am 21 and I have multiple small, needle-sized scars on my forehead, and some bigger-sized scars on my cheeks, which still look red. Help!

Severe acne can cause scarring--acne surgery usually does not

+3

The inflammation associated with deep, inflammatory acne lesions can cause depressed scars. Extractions of comedones or drainage of cysts usually does not. It sounds like scars on your face are from the condition not the procedure. There are many options for treatment of acne scars including peels, laser therapy, and steel surgery--depending on the size and shape of your scars.

Web reference: http://www.aglowdermatology.com

Extracting pimples does not produce scars

+3

Usually there are no scars after extracting of blackheads or pimples, if done by an professional. I think that you have

so called ice pick scars. These scars result from pimples not from the treatment. A fractionated laser like fraxel can help with this condition.

Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Active and Deep FX for Acne Scarring

+2

In my experience, the best treatment for acne scarring is fractionated ablative CO2 (carbon dioxide) laser. Active and Deep FX (Total FX), resurfaces the skin and creates collagen regeneration with skin contracture. A second treatment is often necessary to achieve improved results. From El Paso, Las Cruces, New Mexico.

Web reference: http://www.elpasoplasticsurgery.com/

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Acne Scars

+1
The scars that you are describing are most likely from the inflammatory acne itself and not the process of acne surgery.  If you still have ice pick scars that need treatment you would benefit from the Fraxel laser to treat these scars.  The redness should go away but if it persists the V-Beam laser will help to get rid of the redness.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best results.

Treating Acne Scars

+1
I would suggest a laser treatment for your condition, specifically the Fraxel laser. WIth this laser significant results can be achieved through a series of “fractional” treatments whereby multiple tiny columns of skin are aggressively treated, with surrounding areas of skin untouched. This enables faster healing than if the entire area were treated at once, and since there is no skin surface disruption, healing times are very short. After a series of 2 to 4 Fraxel treatments, the cumulative cosmetic improvement is near more aggressive lasers, but unlike more aggressive lasers, redness and swelling eliminated within 2 to 4 days after each treatment. Fraxel is outstanding for acne scars and surgical scars. It can be used safely on the face, neck, hands, arms, and chest.

Web reference: http://www.shapiroplasticsurgery.com/blog/fraxel

Acne Extractions Don't Usually Cause Scarring

+1

When performed by a professional, acne extractions do no usually leave scars.  It sounds like you have routine scarring from your acne which is very common. Based on your description, the scars are likely pitted in nature and require resurfacing or removal treatments to be improved.  A lot of doctors mentioned fractionated lasers which in my opinion do not improve these types of scars as much as we would like especially for the money spent. There are other techniques which can improve pitted or pock-like scars and are more cost-effective such as punch excision and electrosurgery. I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist. 

Web reference: http://www.barnettdermatology.com/treatments.php?id=24

Treatment for scars left after acne surgery

+1

I agree with others who replied.  You likely have ice pick acne scars which you attribute to the previous acne surgery but which is likely unrelated to it.  The best treatment for this is deep facial resurfacing and punch excisions with repair.  The resurfacing does not have to be a laser or with Fraxel and combination treatments work best.

Web reference: http://kassmd.com

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

A clear diagnosis on your acne condition is important

+1

Typical acne treatment, surgical or otherwise, typically is relatively pain free and bloodless.  It sounds as though you still have active acne lesions, which should be treated with appropriate therapy.  This may include topical agents such as benzoyl peroxide, topical antibiotics, topical dapsone, topical retinoids, topical sulfur products, topical beta hydroxy acids, etc. and the possibility of an oral antibiotic or hormone-normalizing agent, such as spironolactone or oral contraceptive pills (in some cases of female acne).  Recalcitrant acne sometimes requires alternative treatments such as photodynamic therapy and isotretinoin, both of which require proper patient counseling and informed consent.

Acne surgery may encompass many procedures.  The most common include comedone extraction (a bloodless procedure) or occasional incision and drainage for cystic lesions.  Combination therapy will often yield the best results.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne scars following extractions or Acne Surgery

+1

Extractions or rupturing of acne cysts, if done properly, can shorten the duration of inflammation in the skin leading ultimately to less scarring.   Alternatively steroid injections can be used to treat acne cysts that are large or persistent.   Sometimes what patients think are scars following acne are just temporary areas of hyperpigmentation or brown color that are the result of inflammation in the skin.  These spots can take up to a year to go away and can be helped with topicals like Retin-A and hydroquinone. 

Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Most people do not experience sever scarring

+1

Most people do not experience sever scarring following professional acne removal treatments. You might want to consider surgical punch tactics to smooth out your face. This can be performed with minimal downtime. It sounds like the acne, and not the procedure itself, is what is responsible for your scars. Ice pick type scars are uncommon but do in fact happen in patients of all ages.

Web reference: http://www.finetouchdermatology.com/los-angeles-acne-scars/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.