Treatment for Scars Left After Acne Surgery?

I don't know if you understand exactly what a doctor did to me. I think the procedure I had is called acne surgery. I am not sure if the alternate name is comedone extraction--he used needle anyway. He convinced me that he should do this to me. From the first time, my face became totally red, and there was blood everywhere in my face. This situation continued for 3 treatments more (continued breaking the new spots). I changed doctor and did therapy of minaxen pills. Now, I am 21 and I have multiple small, needle-sized scars on my forehead, and some bigger-sized scars on my cheeks, which still look red. Help!

Severe acne can cause scarring--acne surgery usually does not

The inflammation associated with deep, inflammatory acne lesions can cause depressed scars. Extractions of comedones or drainage of cysts usually does not. It sounds like scars on your face are from the condition not the procedure. There are many options for treatment of acne scars including peels, laser therapy, and steel surgery--depending on the size and shape of your scars.

Extracting pimples does not produce scars

Usually there are no scars after extracting of blackheads or pimples, if done by an professional. I think that you have

so called ice pick scars. These scars result from pimples not from the treatment. A fractionated laser like fraxel can help with this condition.

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Active and Deep FX for Acne Scarring

In my experience, the best treatment for acne scarring is fractionated ablative CO2 (carbon dioxide) laser. Active and Deep FX (Total FX), resurfaces the skin and creates collagen regeneration with skin contracture. A second treatment is often necessary to achieve improved results. From El Paso, Las Cruces, New Mexico.

Acne scar treatment

Thank you for your question.  Usually extractions do not cause scars.  If you have underlying scars from repeated bouts of acne, then getting the acne under control first would be necessary before considering additional treatments such as lasers, fillers, excursions, etc.

Scarring after acne

I am sorry to hear about your scars.  Without more information it is difficult to make a definitive recommendation.  Treatment of scarring related to acne typically involves a combination of lasers, surgery, and possibly injections.  I would recommend seeing a specialist who is familiar with the treatment of acne scarring.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

...thanks for your post, but a picture(s) will  say a thousand words and will help experts guide you as to the best treatment. 
Blindly without seeing your scars, there are treatments like TCA CROSS of deep scars and V BEAM vascular laser for red scars. A pic with you ethnic skin type will help tremendously. 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and Cosmetic Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Acne Scars

The scars that you are describing are most likely from the inflammatory acne itself and not the process of acne surgery.  If you still have ice pick scars that need treatment you would benefit from the Fraxel laser to treat these scars.  The redness should go away but if it persists the V-Beam laser will help to get rid of the redness.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best results.

Treating Acne Scars

I would suggest a laser treatment for your condition, specifically the Fraxel laser. WIth this laser significant results can be achieved through a series of “fractional” treatments whereby multiple tiny columns of skin are aggressively treated, with surrounding areas of skin untouched. This enables faster healing than if the entire area were treated at once, and since there is no skin surface disruption, healing times are very short. After a series of 2 to 4 Fraxel treatments, the cumulative cosmetic improvement is near more aggressive lasers, but unlike more aggressive lasers, redness and swelling eliminated within 2 to 4 days after each treatment. Fraxel is outstanding for acne scars and surgical scars. It can be used safely on the face, neck, hands, arms, and chest.

Acne Extractions Don't Usually Cause Scarring

When performed by a professional, acne extractions do no usually leave scars.  It sounds like you have routine scarring from your acne which is very common. Based on your description, the scars are likely pitted in nature and require resurfacing or removal treatments to be improved.  A lot of doctors mentioned fractionated lasers which in my opinion do not improve these types of scars as much as we would like especially for the money spent. There are other techniques which can improve pitted or pock-like scars and are more cost-effective such as punch excision and electrosurgery. I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist. 

Treatment for scars left after acne surgery

I agree with others who replied.  You likely have ice pick acne scars which you attribute to the previous acne surgery but which is likely unrelated to it.  The best treatment for this is deep facial resurfacing and punch excisions with repair.  The resurfacing does not have to be a laser or with Fraxel and combination treatments work best.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon