Will This Scar Flatten? (photo)

this is my scar at three weeks. My surgeon said this will flatten out... do you think this is true?

Scarring after thighplasty

+1
A raised texture is normal for the first three to six months after your surgery but fortunately it will gradually flatten out. This natural healing process can take about a year or so. Ask your surgeon about scar treatments, such as topical silicone gel or silicone sheeting. These may help reduce visibility of the scar.

Scars Take 18 Months to Fully Mature

+1
Thank you for your question and photo.  The photo of your posterior thighlift scar looks reasonable for 3 weeks.  I agree with your surgeon that it should settle with time.  The puckering is due to deep sutures used to reset the fold under the buttock.  If It does not faltten out in 3-6 months you should discuss with your surgeon.  Scars take 18 months to fully mature to their final state.  If a revision is necessary, you should wait until then.  Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon