Plastic Surgery Scar Treatment After Thigh Lift? (photo)

I had thigh lift and tummy tuck and the scars in thigh lift in the groin are very dark. I would like to lighten their appearance only because when I bend the bathing suit slides and it does not look nice. Is there anything I can use to lighten the scars?

Scarring & Thigh Lift Surgery - What to Expect

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to be concerned about scarring following thigh lift surgery.  The scars following this procedure are potentially long and are not easily hidden.

In an effort to minimize scarring, a variety of maneuvers have been utilized.  These include techniques designed to decrease tension on the wound closure, examples include steristrips, silicone scar sheeting and compressive support devices.

Massage of scars with a variety of topical agents has been shown to be helpful as well.  It’s also important to avoid sun exposure and tanning.  In the occasional patient who develops hypertrophic scarring, steroid injections may be helpful as well. 

It’s important to remember that wound remodeling occurs for at least 12-18 months following surgery.  If you’re concerned about scarring following thigh lift surgery, it’s important to discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to help you manage this problem. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Concerned about scars from thigh lift

+1

Scars usually get better (and lighter) with time.  Within 1 year of surgery, I usually recommend my patients to massage the scar with scar cream and to avoid UV light.  If after a year you still have hyper-pigmented scar, you can treat the area with hydroquinone based cream and or undergo laser treatment.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS