Silicone Gel for Eye Bag Removal Scarring

I had an upper and lower eye bag removal 6 weeks ago. Now I have a visible scar below my right lower eyelash. My surgeon gave me a silcone gel and said to see him again in 3 months. Will this silcone gel sort the problem out?

Silicone gel may help scars

+2

Studies have shown that silicone is the only topical treatment that may improve the appearance of scars. There are different kinds of silicone on the market but it doesn't matter which one you use. I recommend it for most of my patients. So, give it a try.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Quality of scar probably unrelated to use of silicone gel

+2

Although many surgeons use silicone gel and silicone gel sheeting to influence scars, we do not know the exact mechanism of why it works. It also does not work all the time. You have to look at the characteristics of the scar you are trying to affect (i.e. pigmentation, thickness, redness, width, firmness, itchiness, etc.etc).

Silicone gel and sheeting may help with thickness, firmness, and redness. But so might tincture of time so it is not so clear as to whether the use of these products are helping the scars or if time itself and the normal healing process would eventually allow the scar to appear better without treatment.

The eyelids are the best areas of the body to have scars. Keloids virtually never form on the eyelid scar. You might ask your surgeon what aspect of the scar is not acceptable and if the gel is going to help that characteristic. You should be very careful not to get the gel into the eye itself. I suspect that the scar will improve on its on, or has little to do with the use of the gel.

Silicone Gel for Eyelid Scar: It May or may Not Help

+1

Silicone gel is somewhat effective in management of keloids and hypertrophic scars.  However, Eyelid skin is the thinnest in the human and typically heals very well.  Unless you truly have a hypertrophic scar on your lid or a truly unusual case, silicone gel is unlikely to add anything significant to the natural healing process.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid scarring after blepharoplasty

+1
Scarring of only the right lower eyelid after upper and lower blepharoplasty implies that you sleep on the right side. Silicone gel is a Little bothersome. I would massage, give it six months , and if the appearance does not improve, consider a revision, and change your sleeping patterns.
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid scarrng will typically resolve over time

+1

Lower eyelid scarring after a blepharoplasty typically will fade out over the course of six months. Nevertheless, there are some treatments that can hasten scar resolution like the use of mederma and silicone gel sheeting. Both exert occlusive and pressure effects on the scars which tend to help them fade more quickly. Silicon sheeting may be difficult to wear or adhere that close to the eye and silicone gel can also be used. There is no harm in doing something positive to help scars fade.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelash Scar After Blepharoplasty

+1

Subciliary incisions after Blepharoplasty tend to increase in thickness in the immediate postoperative period and will subside in thickness and width with time. Silicone sheeting is difficult to position under the eyelash. Continue aggressive massage as prescibed by your physician.

Web reference: http://karemd.com/plastic-surgery/21/eyelid-surgery.aspx

Eyelid scar should get better with time

+1

Eyelid scars tend to heal very well. Silicone sheeting is effective for scars, but sometimes hard to keep on spots like the eyelid due to the natural movement. I would probably just have you massage the scar and keep sunscreen on it. It is difficult to tell as I have not seen this scar of course.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid scarring should improve over time

+1

Lec,

It is important to remember that everybody heals differently, and while some people make look perfectly healed at six weeks, many people still have a visible line due to surgery. However, the eyelids usually heal very nicely, and with more time, you will probably be fine. The silicone may or may not help, it is usually just time that does the trick.

Dr. Miller

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gentle massage for scarring may help

+1

The silicone gel may help in the lower eyelid region but most scars in this zone do quite well on their own. Be careful not to get it in you eye. May be best just to massage the scar 10 times a day. I have found that these scars respond well with gentle massage.

It won't hurt and it may actually help

+1

Lec,

Silicone gel and sheeting has been shown to help scaring. However, it must be used regularly and over several weeks to months to see an effect. The way I see it, it won't hurt and it may actually help. Good luck

Web reference: http://www.RealPlasticSurgery.com