How Long Until Plastic Surgery Stitches Dissolve?

I had upper eyelid surgery 8 days ago, and the doctor used dissolvable stitches. How long does it normally take for stitches to dissolve? Is there anything I can do to make them dissolve faster?

Dissolving Sutures And Blepharoplasty

+4

If your surgeon used a fast absorbing gut suture, it should dissolve within 7-10 days. In many cases the body digests the suture material under the skin before the visible portion of the suture thread actually falls off. Therefore, you may still see some suture material on the skin at 10 days or so. Keeping the incisions moisturized with ointment (preferably an eye antibiotic ointment) will help speed this process up. One of the worst things you can do is to allow the incision to scab or dry out. This can lead to worsening scar formation and slow the recovery considerably.

Web reference: http://www.drhilinski.com/procedures/eye-lid-lift-san-diego-ca/

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Disolvable suture will most likely stay for 30-60 days

+3

most disolvable sutures remain for 30-60 days. if they are placed externally, they can be removed one week after surgery.

Web reference: http://www.beautifulself.com

Dissolving sutures in blepharoplasty

+3

Depending on the suture, dissolving sutures may take anywhere from 5 days to 14 days to dissolve.  Warm soaks and topical ointments may speed this process.  To achieve the best scar appearance, non dissolving sutures should be run just under the skin from one end of the incision to the other.  The suture ends are taped in place and after 3-5 days the suture is easily removed by sliding it out in the office.  This leaves no "track" marks on the skin which external sutures can and since the suture is non dissolving there is no reaction from your body to the stitch and hence a better scar appearance.

Absorbable sutures for upper eyelid surgery

+2

Absorbable sutures can sometimes take longer than expected to dissolve. 1% hydrogen peroxide will hasten this process for some types of sutures and is worth a try. Any remaining sutures should be removed by your surgeon to prevent suture marks.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dissolving Stitches for Eyelid Surgery

+2

We have different stitches that dissolve at different times: some will dissolve in 3-5 days, others can take weeks or months!

The dissolving stitches on the surface that you can see will generally dissolve between 3-7 days.

The stitches "dissolve" as a result of your body's reaction to the stitch material. Soaking them in water, for example, won't make them "dissolve" any faster.

Because your surgeon does want them in for a particular time period, check with him/her before doing something to remove them on your own.

If the stitches are hanging around too long, go into your surgeon's office to have them removed.

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Soaking and pulling away can remove dissolvable blepharoplasty sutures

+2

Mnatella,

Be sure to ask your doctor before trying this.

I use gut or chromic sutures when I want a dissolvable suture during blepharoplasty.

Gut dissolves in 4-5 days but Chromic can hang around for 10 to 14 days.

I normally remove non-absorbable sutures at 3-5 days, so you should not need eyelid sutures after 6-7 days normally.

Usually, chromic sutures and some gut sutures dry out and are not really holding the skin together at 6 days. In fact, leaving the suture in longer than 6-7 days can increase scarring.

Often, if the Chromic sutures are dry at 6-7 days, I just gently pull them away with a forceps or tweezer and they fall off easily.

Soaking can help loosen them.

I do not recommend that you do this yourself. Call your doctor's office. I am sure his nurse or assistant can do this for you.

Stitches Usually Dissolve Within The 1st Week of Recovery. Ask Your Surgeon.

+1
There are many different types of dissolving stitches that plastic surgeons have to choose from and each have their own qualities and length of duration.Typically, the stitches used for an eyelid surgery tend to be very small in caliber (thickness) and tend to dissolve relatively quickly.Ideally, those stitches should come out between one to two weeks after surgery.If they have not fallen out by then, your surgeon will probably take them out.There is danger to having them out too quickly so do not do anything before your surgeon gives you the go ahead.Only he or she knows exactly what was done underneath and when it is safe to remove them.Typically, after the first week it would be alright to apply a cool moist sponge or gauze on the incisions to allow the dissolving process to speed up.If stitches stay much longer than two weeks, you are likely to develop little track marks on either side of the incision from the stitches and therefore a worse scar.The best advice is always to ask your surgeon what to do and why as they know the particular details of your situation and will have your best intentions in mind.
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

How long does does it take for eyelid sutures to dissolve.

+1
It all depends on what type of sutures were used.  Generally though, sutures dissolve anywhere from 5-14 days. I usually remove sutures on day 6 or 7 after eyelid surgery, whether they are the dissolvable kind or not. 
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1
How long until the stitches dissolve is dependent on the type of stitch.
Most dissolvable stitches used in eyelid surgery dissolve between 7 and14 days. 
Other stitches can take long even 4 weeks to dissolve. 
Eyelids heal very quickly and stitches are required for less that 1-week. After this time it is good to have the stich removed as it can irritate the skin and increase the thickness of the scar.
London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dissolving Sutures

+1

Depending upon the exact suture material they used it could take up to two weeks or more.  Applying topical antibiotic will help solubilize the suture material but it really depends upon your immune system.  By 7-9 days after surgery you can ask your eye doctor to simply remove the sutures directly so you do not have to have the common problem with external sutures – Milia. Using a  subcuticular closure with a non-absorbable suture allows me to remove it on the 7th day and reduces the risk of Milia.

Web reference: http://paulvanekmd.com/eyelid-lift

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon