I had my ears pinned back and one of my permanent stitches seems to be falling out. Is that normal? (Photo)

I had my ears pinned back two years ago and the stitch is at the top of my ear. Will my ear be effected by the stitch falling out?

Exposed suture?

+1
Occassionally this happens and the best course is to remove the suture. In my experience, most often this will not affect the result as there is good scar tissue supporting the "new" shape by now. If there IS some "rebound" toward the old shape, you may resuture that spot.

I had my ears pinned back and one of my permanent stitches seems to be falling out. Is that normal?

+1
A permanent stitch that has perforated the skin must be removed because it will otherwise become an entry point for bacteria which can then lead to an infection of your ear.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon

Permanent sutures after Otoplasty procedure

+1
The permanent sutures used in the Otoplasty procedure can occasionally push through the skin.  Often they can be removed safely in the office without difficulty, but may need to be replaced if the result is affected adversely.

See your surgeon to evaluate your options.

Jason Lichtenberger, MD
Bellingham Facial Plastic Surgeon