I had otoplasty 3 months ago. The problem I asked to be addressed hasn't been and one of my ears is even worse. My imagination?

I've always had an outward curvature from mid ear up making me feel like I had "satellite dishes" on the sides of my head. I explained the result I wanted in the consultation when I put both of my forefingers to the tops of each ear stating I wanted them to go in at the top or at the very least go straight up and down. The left one is slightly improved but still curves out. The right looks like "Yoda" ear and is flattened and "crunched up" at the antihelix that's lost it's normal curvature.

Telephone ear

+2
This is an unfortunately not uncommon result known as "Telphone ear deformity" - thin in the middle and protruding at the top and bottom. While somewhat challenging to improve, most often I have been able to successfully revise these though not always "fully". I would not operate on a patient with this until at least one year after their original surgery so that all the tissues are fully softened and mobile as best as can be.

+1
If you were operated on with a traditional method, this result probably can’t be changed much anymore because your ears are being held in their new position by scar formation. An alteration would only be possible if you were operated on with the stitch method as no scars are formed here. With the stitch method, the position of the ears can still be easily changed after 3 months or even later, to the satisfaction of a patient, by removing the stitches and replacing them with new ones.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon