Does Salicylic Acid Help to Brighten Skin Tone?

I have good skin texture, it's pretty smooth. Since I have hormonal acne, I go in stages where my skin is beautiful but then I get 2-3 pimples that leaves dark spots and it takes a few months before they go away. I have Black skin and currently use Retin A and a Benzoyl Peroxide cleaner and Lactic peels or Glycolic peels on occasion. I was thinking of replacing the Glycolic peel with Salicylic acid to prevent acne and brighten skin tone and getting rid of dark spots.

Worth a try

+1
Salicylic acid is a beta-hydroxy acid (BHA) with a phenolic ring within its chemical structure. Commonly known as BHA, it is extremely effective in treating acne due to its ability to penetrate and dissolve the intercellular components responsible for maintaining a blemish's structure. The salicylic peel also has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce facial redness and lighten areas that have darkened due to acne related inflammation. It's certainly worth a try pending consultation with a medical aesthetician.

Salicylic acid facial peels

+1

I find a salicylic acid /TCA peel to be useful for oily skin and acne prone skin to improve texture and oiliness.  This is a common peel in my Los Angeles plastic surgery practice. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Salicylic Brightens Skin Tone

+1

Salicylic acid is used to control acne breakouts and to diminish excess sebum.  It exfoliates excess cells in the pores, penetrating the pores and working outward.  It will help to stimulate cell renewal and improve signs of aging skin.  Overtime this will cause an overall more even, healthier tone to the skin.  I would discontinue your Rein A and Benzoyl Peroxide if you decide to move forward with salicylic acid peel treatment.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Salicylic acid peels to brighten skin

+1
Salicylic acid peels can be an excellent choice for acne and brown blemishes associated with acne. Salicylic acid is supposed to be more attracted to the oily hair follicles (pores) where acne starts v. glycolic acid. Salicylic acid peels are particularly helpful in treating uneven skin tone and as considered to be one of the safer chemical peels on brown skin. Dina Strachan, MD. NYC dermatologist. 212-627-1004

Dina D. Strachan, MD