Safety of Breast Reduction and Tummy Tuck Done Together? (photo)

Having a Breast reduction on August 9th which is covered by insurance. I am 27yrs 5'5" about 176lbs with DDD cup breasts. I have 2 little boys and now left with big stretch marks and a sagging tummy. Can't afford a tummy tuck but now lately thinking I should do it with the breast reduction- how safe is this with recovery n complications? would combining eliminate extra hospital, anesthesia,etc cost and only paid out of pocket for the surgeon fee? Which do I need, mini or full tummy tuck?

Combination of Tummy Tuck & Breast Reduction Is A Frequently Performed Procedure

+1

The combination of abdominoplasty and breast reduction is frequently performed in a single setting. When these operations are performed together, safety has to be the first priority.

For this reason, we believe it’s important to minimize the length of these operative procedures. An experienced surgeon, first assistant and surgical team that focus on efficiency can minimize the length of the procedure and reduce the potential for complications.

The advantages of this approach are obvious and include improved synergy and harmony which improves the overall aesthetic result. Patients experience one recovery rather then multiple recoveries and they potentially save money when the procedures are done in combination.

Combination surgery is not for everyone. Some patients may have co-existing health problems which prevent this approach. If you’re considering this approach, it’s important that you discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to help you formulate an appropriate surgical plan.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Safety of Breast Reduction and Tummy Tuck Combination Surgery?

+1

Combination surgical procedures are done on a routine basis. However,  it is best to evaluate each patient on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY  of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance.  Factors such as selection of plastic surgeon,  exact procedures planned, estimated blood loss, duration of surgery,  recovery considerations, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility are all important  considerations.

Simultaneous Breast Reduction and Tummy Tuck

+1

I routinely do not perform breast reduction and abdominoplasty simultaneously because of prolonged anesthetic time beyond 6 hours.  From your photographs, you certainly need a full tummy tuck, which takes approximately 3 hours.  I routinely reinforce abdominoplasties with mesh on women not planning any future pregnancies.  The advantage of mesh is weight reduction and maintenance of the lost weight.  I do combine other procedures when the duration of the surgery is less than 6 hours to reduce patient cost.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Combined procedures are safe

+1

Depending on your overall health status, combined cosmetic surgery procedures are safe.  Please make sure your procedure will be performed in a fully accredited surgical facility or hospital.  Make sure that your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Also ask your PS if an overnight stay will be required/recommended.  Best of luck.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Safety of mommy makeover surgery

+1

Mommy makeover is usually a combination surgery of breasts and abdomen.  This can be done safely as long as your are medically healthy and the surgery is performed by an experienced plastic surgeon at an accredited surgery center/hospital.  Postoperative complication can be minimized by following your plastic surgeon's postoperative instructions and ambulating soon after the surgery.  In regards to mini vs. full tummy tuck, you will have a better result from full tummy tuck.  Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

Sugene Kim, MD

Breast Reduction with Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for your question.    The primary advantage of performing a breast reduction with a tummy tuck is a single recovery period.  It is possible to receive discounted anesthesia and facility fee rates by combining procedures.   I would only recommend this if you are set on having a tummy tuck at some point in the near future.

In regards to your abdomen, you will most definitely require a full tummy tuck.   I find the muscle repair portion of this procedure to involve the most soreness.  I would recommend 3 weeks off work and 6 weeks before return to normal activity if you perform both procedures.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery. 

Paul S. Gill, MD

Tummy tucks and breast reductions can be done together

+1

but your doctor should really help guide you through this.  A traditional breast reduction using an anchor incision will decrease blood supply to your tummy and potentially contribute to complications.  Vertical lollipop reductions would certainly be safer. 

In addition, traditional tummy tucks with wide undermining places you at increased risks for complications and a lipoabdominoplasty procedure with discontinuous undermining would certainly be better at preserving your blood supply.

Facilities will charge their cosmetic fees so the main advantage of doing them together would be one anesthesia at potentially increased risks for blood clots in your legs.  Doing them separately would allow revisions of your first procedure during the second procedure.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Reduction/Tummy Tuck

+1

Combining a reduction and a tummy tuck is safe for someone who is young and healthy, and you appear to be both.

Doing the two procedures at the same time will likely end up being more expensive than doing them separately for a number of reasons.  Save your out-of-pocket money and have your tummy tuck done at a different setting...You would probably get the best result with a full tummy tuck.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Hall

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

Breast reduction and tummy tuck insurance coverage

+1

Insurance may cover the breast reduction but they will not cover operating room, anesthesia or surgery costs for the tummy tuck. If you do not have the money to cover for tummy tuck done separately it is unlikely that you will be able to pay for the uncovered portions of the operation. The insurance companies will not allow you to piggy back cosmetic surgery into covered medically necessary surgery at their expense.

It is usually best to do the belly before the breasts because if you do the belly later the tummy tuck tends to displace the breasts downward.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Breast Reduction and Tummy Tuck?

+1

First, you need a full tummy tuck. Second, If you can't afford it now, figure out a way to save so you can have it in the future. 

Ronald Schuster, MD