Will a Tummy Tuck Help my Back Fat? (photo)

i am already scheduled for a breast reduction and full tummy tuck aug 8th, my question is, i weigh about 140, i'm 5'2, will it help my back fat? you can see it good with my bathing suit, however not so good with the side view, but trust me, when i have my bra on, i have back fat! lol

Will a Tummy Tuck Help my Back Fat?

+4

A tummy tuck treats the abdomen...that is, the front of the trunk. It has no effect on the back. If you want to treat "back fat", then you will need to have liposuction of the back.  Since some of the blood supply to the tummy that is important to protect and preserve during a tummy tuck comes from the flank and from around the sides, I personally would not perform an aggressive liposuction "defatting" of you back at the same time as a full tummy tuck.

Tummy tuck and back fat

+2

Thank you for the question and the photos and congratulations on your decision to do mommy makeover. There is no doubt that tummy tuck combined with liposuction will improve your back. To get a more accurate answer, my advice for you is to address that question with your plastic surgeon before the surgery date. You want to be very clear with him/her about your hopes and desires before surgery. This would avoid any dissatisfaction after or misunderstanding after surgery, I wish you all the best

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Liposculpture + TT is the best option for you

+2

Hi. Thank you for the question and for posting photos. By what I can tell by the pictures, you will definetly gain a lot by getting the tummy tuck, but you have to take into account that even if you get some liposuction to define your waist while getting the TT, in order to get rid of the fat bulges that appear when you wear a bra, you need a full liposuction of the back, as the TT alone won't do the job.

Visit your board certified plastic surgeon, in order to get more details regarding your particular case.

Rafael E. Estevez Hernandez, MD

Back fat improved from tummy tuck?

+1
Congratulations on scheduling your tummy tuck.  You should see a great improvement in your contour from this procedure. However, the tummy tuck will have no affect on your back fat. You will need liposuction of the back to improve this area.  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery.  They may be able to perform liposuction of the back at the time of your tummy tuck to improve this area as well.  

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the Back

+1

It’s not unusual for patients with redundant abdominal tissue to also have localized fat collections that are located in the posterior flank region. When this situation arises it’s not unusual for patients to need both abdominoplasty and liposuction of the flanks.

When abdominoplasty alone is performed, the back and flanks are usually unaffected by this treatment. To correct the flank fat collections, liposuction of the back is usually always necessary.

Under these circumstances, the combination of abdominoplasty and liposuction gives excellent results and high levels of patient satisfaction. If you’re concerned about back fat it’s important to discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon before proceeding with abdominoplasty. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

You should consider liposuction at the same time.

+1

If you are concerned about the back fat, you should undergo liposuction at the same time as tummy tuck.  From your side view, you will benefit from tummy tuck.  By the posterior (back) view, you have lipodystrophy in the upper back.  Tummy tuck will not affect the contour of the back; therefore, liposuction should be done to address the area concerned.  There are several types of liposuction available.  Please discuss with your plastic surgeon.  Please remember that compression garment will be important after tummy tuck as well as liposuction.

Sugene Kim, MD

Will a Tummy Tuck Help Back Fat

+1

Although a Tummy Tuck will not directly affect your back fat, liposuction of your concerning areas of the back will most definitely.   There are several liposuction techniques available to treat the denser fat of the back.   

I would discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon to ensure he or she addresses this for you.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

No, breast reduction and tummy tuck will not help back fat. You may consider liposuction of that area in the future.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

No, breast reduction and tummy tuck will not help back fat. You may consider liposuction of that area in the future.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Will a Tummy Tuck Help my Back Fat?

+1

Thanks for your question, and for attaching photos. 

What I usually call back fat is covered by your clothing in the photos. However, whether you are talking what I would call the back or the flanks, I can say with some certainty that the TT alone will not correct that (those) areas, and that liposuction added to the procedure would do so. 

By the way, if the problem only occurs when you have on a bra, the solution may be weight loss, or at least a bra that is not constricting. 

Will a Tummy Tuck Help my Back Fat?

+1

Though you tried to post photos, always better without garments on. My guess is you will need liposuction of the back also.