How to Choose Between 2 Surgeons That Seem Equally Qualified for my BA, TT and Umbilical Hernia Repair?

I will be having breast augmentation, a tummy tuck and umbilical hernia repair at the same time. I have narrowed it down to 2 surgeons that seem very similar in terms of skills, results, experience, education, price and opinion. So that is great. The only real difference is one is male and ther other is female. Is there anything I am missing in deciding who to choose? Technique may be different. How do I choose?

Choosing a Plastic Surgeon

+2

If all the qualifications are the same, they are both certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, are both members of the American Society of Aesthetic Surgeons, I would look their experience and whether they do almost only cosmetic surgery. Also, look at their results of his/her work, the length of time to do the operation(longer operation time, greater chance of problems) and finally how comfortable you feel with the plastic surgeon. Whether they are male or female really does not matter much, it is their training, experience, bedside manner and results that count the most!

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

How to choose between two surgeons?

+1

You should make sure that your plastic surgeon is well-expereince and board certified by American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Review your surgeon's pre and postop photos.  Finally, consider who you feel more comfortable with.  You are embarking on a journey for better contour.  Your encounter with your plastic surgeon will not end on the surgery day.  You will follow-up with your plastic surgeon and his/her staff for awhile post-operatviely.  You want to make sure that your surgeon/staff listen to your needs and concerns and feel welcomed.  Best wishes on your surgery and recovery!

Sugene Kim, MD

Choosing between Plastic Surgeons

+1

I congratulate you on doing your research and seeing multiple plastic surgeons.  

First, After ensuring they are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, I would look at their experience and practice focus.   Aesthetic Plastic Surgery is an art that requires experience and continuing education on part of the surgeon.

Secondly, remember that you are going to develop a long lasting relationship with this physician and office.   How easily accessible is the doctor and their staff?  How do they make you feel each visit?  How attentive and detailed are they in their postop care?  Do they give you the same time after surgery that you receive before surgery?

Last and most important, Safety.   Does your doctor plan to perform your surgery in a hospital, surgery center, or office?  What is the experience of the anesthesia and OR staff??  Is it necessary for you to stay overnight?

These are factors that I find patients use to determine their surgeon.   I hope this helps.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Choosing between surgeons

+1

Ask about the techniques that they will use, it may be different.  Ask your friends...many of our patients come from former patient referrals as happy, satisfied patients are a good reference...a surgeon may appear to be a good "salesman" in the office, but their track record is reflected in the number of happy patients that have had their goals met in the community...finally go with your "gut feeling".  Gender should be the least of your concerns.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Choosing your surgeon

+1

It seems as if you have done your homework.  You may want to talk to a few of their patients.  Ultimately, I would go with personal chemistry, all else being equal.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Choosing a plastic surgeon

+1

If your surgeons are board certified by the ABPS, then you likely will be happy with either one. The gender of your surgeon should not make any difference in your results. If all other things are equal, I would choose the one that you would most trust to take care of you in the event of a complication. You should have a gut feeling about who is the most trustworthy. Before and after photos sometimes can be very telling as well.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Making your final pick

+1

Please make sure both are board certified plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Review each doc's before/after photos.  Finally, ask yourself with whom did you feel more comfortable?  Whose office staff made you feel more comfortable?   In the end, go with your gut feeling.  Best of luck!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

How Do I Pick a Plastic Surgeon

+1

Given that you've done your due diligence with reference to skills, results, experience, education, price and opinion, then how do you differentiate between two plastic surgeons?  It sounds to me like you'd do well with either one.  For me, the differentiation would be, who would I trust to take care of me if things didn't work out perfectly, because that's the person you want to have surgery by.  Which one of these two surgeons is emotionally invested in the successful outcome of your surgery?

Plastic surgery is 75% technical and 25% artistry.  Pure technical people get the job done, but there is always something not quite perfect about their results.  Pure artists forget what medium they're working in and they often don't listen to the patient because they're following the beat of a different drum.  I'd go with the smart plastic surgeon with the artist flare.  I'd go with a plastic surgeon who is passionate about success and wants only happy patients.

Your job is to figure out which one of these two plastic surgeons meets the above criteria.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

How to Choose Between 2 Surgeons

+1

Assuming both are truly equal in experience and skill and both board certified, that is a tough question. You might ask some friends who have had surgery by one or the other to see what they say. If the surgeons work at a hospital it is a good idea to speak to a nurse or two in the operating room to get another professional's opinion.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

How to choose a surgeon

+1

When evaluating your surgeon, board certification and experience are critical. What board has certified them and what specific residencies did they complete. Are they a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, which has additional criteria to meet after board certification. Did they go on for advanced fellowship training. Do they operate in accredited facilities. Do their post operative photos demonstrate the aesthetic result you are hoping to achieve. Can  you speak with patients who have had the procedures you are about to undergo.

If they are truly equal the last critical point is who are you most comfortable with. You are beginning a long term relationship with this individual.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon