Is It Safe to Take Methylprednisolone 1.5 Weeks Before a Breast Augmentation?

I have cold and flu without fever and my Physician gave me amoxicillin for 7 days three times daily and methylprednisolone for 6 days and my Surgeon told me that I can take them but I'm not sure to take the methylprednisolone. Please help me!

Methylprednisolone and Breast Augmentation

+2

Methylprednisolone is a steroid that is often prescribed to patients with persistent coughs to diminish the inflammation in the lungs after a viral infection.  One of the side effects of this steroid is the potential to interfere with the patient's immune system and can make the patient more vulnerable to other infections.  Ideally, you should not be on methylprednisolone at the time of surgery nor just before having surgery.  

Breast augmentation is an elective surgical procedure and you want to be at your very best health-wise before your procedure.  This means avoiding any medications or supplements that can potentially interfere with your procedure or your recovery.  If you are concerned with the timing of your medications with your procedure, please discuss this with your plastic surgeon who will be able to direct you to the best and safest course of treatment for you.  A good rule to remember before surgery is if you have a question or a concern, it is better to ask before and not after the surgery.  Best of luck.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Its kind of a grey area, it may reduce your ability to heal but how much, nobody would ever be able to tell you. If you were my patient I would say take it and lets delay your surgery for a bit

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC