Safe to Have Gastric Bypass Surgery with Tummy Tuck Before Weight Loss?

I heard of a surgeon who performs a tummy tuck with the bypass because a lot of patients like me have excess skin already hanging(lateral c-section)causing hernia and back pains not to mention horrific skin rashes. This preliminary tummy tuck gives patients some instant relief while losing the weight. Anadditional tuck is performed after total weight lost.

Combined Tummy Tuck and Gastric Bypass

+1

The combination of a gastric bypass and a tummy tuck should not be performed at the same time.  The risk of infection increases significantly. In addition, the length of the procedure is increased and may increase the risks of deep venous thrombosis (clots in legs).  The appropriate time for body contouring plastic surgery after weight loss surgery is usually 18 to 24 months after the initial gastric bypass.

Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

Combining Gastric bypass with Tummy apron resection (Panniculectomy) is Dangerous

+1

Regarding: "I heard of a surgeon who performs a tummy tuck with the bypass because a lot of patients like me have excess skin already hanging ..causing hernia and back pains not to mention horrific skin rashes. This preliminary tummy tuck gives patients some instant relief while losing the weight. An additional tuck is performed after total weight lost."

The Plastic surgery procedure you refer to is a PANNICULECTOMY (Tummy Apron Resection). It is NOT a Tummy Tuck. It removes the tummy overhang but will not tighten the split tummy muscles, flatten the tummy andr lift the anterior thighs. The removal allows women to clean and dry the areas below which reduces the incidence of rash and infections.

Because of the large rate of infection and other complications seen when doing both operations together, I would advise you have one and then another.

Dr. Aldea

Combined tummy tuck and gastic bypass

+1

The risks of operating on an individual with a very thick pannus (skin and fat layer), is the higher likelyhood of bleeding and infection. I would not advise proceeding wtih a combined procedure.