Gastric Bypass Revision Cost

I had bypass surgery 5 years ago they did it by lap. unfortunately they did not make the sac small enough and I did not loose the weight I wanted. I am now gaining weight back and getting more and more depressed. I don't go any place, I refused to go out to eat, I don't do anything cause I am so embarrased. I would like to know if I can get a revision and how much it would cost me.

Revision Gastric Bypass

+3

You may have tricked yourself into eating more and more and stretched the stomach in which case revision may be necessary or other types of restrictive procedures or bypass procedures may be performed by Board Certified Bariatric surgeons. I know of several in the NY City area that are great - Dr. Colin Powers, Dr, Geiss are internationally renowned and can help you.

There is also the new procedure with balloon inflation in the stomach which is under FDA study - Dr Colin Powers may be able to help you with that.

Get some help and don't be depressed.

Buffalo General Surgeon

Weight gain after gastric bypass surgery

+1

It's a common misconception that weight gain after gastric bypass is from stretching of the pouch. The fact of the matter is that we really don't know. There are patients with big pouches and dilated stomas (the opening between the stomach and the small intestine) that do great. We can't really correlate the anatomy with the success of the operation. If a patient has gained weight and we see one of those things, we may assume that this is the problem; but we can't be sure. Patients undergo revisional surgery where the pouch is made smaller... and they still don't lose weight. So many surgeons are reluctant to offer these types of revisions because we don't want to do an operation that won't work.

There are a number of endoscopic procedures to shrink the pouch or the stoma; such as ROSE, StomaphyX, and sclerotherapy. ROSE and Stomaphyx are already off the market, as they don't work. Sclerotherapy is just injection of a medication around the stoma, and has had some limited, though temporary success. The best thing about it is that it is relatively inexpensive.

The most reliable revision is conversion to duodenal switch, or doing a major revision of the small bowel anatomy to create malabsorption. The latter option is fairly easy to do, and would be successful in giving you better weight loss, though at the expense of life-long problems with vitamin deficiency, osteoporosis, and anemia.

P.S. Note to plastic surgeons: I promise not to answer questions about plastic surgery if you promise not to provide ignorant answers to questions about bariatric surgery.

Mark Pleatman, MD
Bloomfield Hills Bariatric Surgeon

Gastric Bypass Revision

+1

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty with your gastric bypass surgery.

Gastric bypass can be an extremely effective at helping people lose weight. This can significantly help reduce other serious health issues related to obesity including diabetes, sleep apnea and others.

Most of the physicians on this site are not general surgeons. It is a general surgeon or a bariatric surgeon (a division of general surgery) that specializes in the concerns you have.

You should seek a board certified general surgeon for advice on this.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Gastric bypass revision surgery is possible

+1

If you lost weight initially and then gained weight, you likely stretched out your pouch. There are salvage procedures available which may include revision of the pouch, or perhaps even a lap band.

Also possible is to move the intesting downstream more so less food is absorbed. I don't do these procedures, but failures in bariatric surgery are not rare, and salvage procedures are available. You should start with a bariatric surgeon.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Gastric bypass revision

+1

At The New York Bariatric Group in New Hyde Park, NY we specialize in revision of previous gastric bypass surgery.  It is not an uncommon problem affecting about 20% of patients.  We offer both the ROSE procedure performed endoscopically through the mouth and placement of a Lap-Band over the gastric bypass.  Costs are variable for the procedures and range between $11,000 and $17,500.

Shawn Garber, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

Revision Gastric Bypass: Seek an experienced expert

+1

This is a complex surgery and not likely performed by most surgeons on this website.

I would highly suggest contacting your personal physician and asking for referrals.

You clearly want a surgeon who has been performing this type of surgery for many years and have experience in performing revisions.

In some cases they may chose not to pursue a revision but instead to perform a different bariatric surgery procedure, such as a gastric lap banding.

I wish you luck in your pursuit and success in losing weight.