How to Get Rid of Sagging Skin After Gastric Bypass and Weight Loss?

I had gastric bypass and my skin sags now. Where it folds (abdomen, thighs, arms), I get infections and painful rashses, and I'm looking for ways to stop this. 

What type of treatment or surgery is available to get rid of all the extra skin?  Could the sagging skin be fixed all at once or would it require me to have lots of things done over a long time?

Considering bariatric surgery? Gastric bypass or banding?

+2

I have been encouraging overweight patients considering gastric bypass or banding to have a discussion with a plastic surgeon before your bariatric surgery.  We can provide realistic expectations about how the weight loss will affect your body and to give you a future projection about the problems you may encounter with the extra skin that will inevitably develop.  Although many insurance carriers will cover the body sculpting surgery today, many are expected to turn away and decline benefits for an increasing number of patients, claiming the elective nips and tucks will be deemed cosmetic and self-pay.  We can provide you with a strategy for building your bodysculpting funds with the 1 to 2 years expected before you will actually need our services.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Body Contouring after Major Weight Loss

+1

Excess skin is an issue with many patients after a gastric bypass but there are many options available for it. After stabilizing your weight you can look forward to getting a total body-lift. It includes lower body-lift or what most surgeons call a circumferential body-lift. This includes a tummy-tuck, a lateral thigh-lift and a buttock-lift or buttock-augmentation.

An upper body-lift focusing on breasts and arms called an upper trunk-lift that includes an arm-lift, treatment of excess skin below the armpits and breast-lift or breast-augmentation can be performed to tackle the upper body sag.

Jeffrey Weinzweig, MD

Post-Weight Loss Surgery

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! Your concerns are very common among weight loss patients. Fortunately, there are several body-tightening procedures available to remove the extra folds of skin that are causing your discomfort. Liposuction, tummy tuck, arm lift, face lift, and breast lift are some of the procedures I offer my bariatric patients. In some cases, insurance will pay for all or part of the surgery if it is performed for medical reasons (such as relief from your painful rashes).

It would be hard to determine whether you need one or multiple surgeries without a personal consultation. Usually, a staged approach to surgery is recommended when several procedures must be performed to achieve the ideal results. Best wishes!

Thomas McNemar, MD, FACS
San Ramon Plastic Surgeon

Surgery after weight loss

+1

Your problem is not uncommon after weight loss. There are many surgeries that can help you in many different areas and depending on what surgery you are doing will depend on what you can combine. In my practice I do a lower body lift (address laxity of the abdomen and thighs) with no other procedure because it is a lot of surgery at one time. When you are ready to proceed with surgery be sure that you consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon that can show you a substantial amount of before and after photos. Dr. Bernard Shuster, Miami Florida

Bernard Shuster, MD
Hollywood Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Excess Skin After Weight Loss

+1

There are many options to treat your excess skin following weight loss.  First you want to make sure your weight loss has stabilized.   One of the mainstays for body contouring after weight loss is the body lift procedure.  Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy. This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift (with the option of buttock augmentation).

For patients who foucs on the breast and arms, I would discuss options for an upper body lift also known as an upper trunk lift. These procedure usually include an arm lift + upper trunk lift (treated excess skin below your arm pit on your sides) + breast lift (a lift and/or augmentation).

Prioritize your goals.  Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn more about your options. 

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Body lift.....

+1

You are likely looking at body lift surgery. This can be staged or done at one time if you are tolerant of increased risk. I tend to stage them in my practice to keep the complications to a minimum.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Removing Excess Skin After Weight Loss: Trading the sag for a scar

+1

Patients who lose significant amounts of weight are left with excess skin which can be a problem with wearing clothes and with skin hygiene. Removing the skin has become an increasingly more common operation with many refinements in technique and scar position. Excess skin can be removed in almost any place in the body, however you trade the skin for a scar in most circumstances. The abdomen, thighs and arms can all be treated, however combination cases should be planned with safety as the primary concern. I usually approach these cases with one of my partners so that we can complete a total body rejuvenation in two operations.

I hope this helps and congratulations on your weight loss.

Dr. Trussler

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Lower Body Lift

+1

Normally we ask for pictuar after the patientes have lost the weight.  After we recived the pictures we call the patients and plan the surgery or number of surgeris to removed the unwanted skin, pependind on the case we peform one or more operations.    Normally the surgery that is perform  fiest in a Lower Body lift fallow bya Breast lift and  arm lift o braquioplasty.   Than You

Alejandro J. Quiroz, MD, FACS
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Skin laxity correcting

+1

Good to hear you have lost your unwanted weight! The issue many weight loss patients have to deal with is that the lost fat results in skin laxity issues, which in turn may lead to rashes developing from excess skin flapping over. The treatment for most patients is a total body lift and it is performed between 1-3 stages. If you just are looking for your abdomen, thighs, and arms you may just need to do a lower body lift and a brachioplasty, which could be performed in one stage, but stages are determined on a case by case basis.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Body contouring procedures after weight loss surgery

+1

Patients will typically have significant amounts of loose skin in many areas after weight loss surgery. These areas usually include the abdomen, thighs, arms, breasts, back, buttocks and even the face. The approach to these areas can be tailored to the patient's needs depending on their anatomy and desires.

However, most experts agree that the best location to begin is with the central abdomen, which usually involves a tummy tuck procedure that extends circumferentially around the back. This has several different names: central body lift, total body lift and circumferential tummy tuck to name a few. The reason this procedure is performed first is because it will impact other nearby areas such as the thighs and buttock.

Once a patient has recovered from this procedure, 3-6 months later, another area or areas can be addressed; such as the arms/ breasts or thighs. Some patients may require three or four separate surgeries to complete all their body contouring needs. Since safety is a primary concern, medical clearance is indicated prior to embarking on these types of surgeries.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to scheduling any of these procedures.

William Bruno, MD