Is It Safe for a Woman with Rosacea to Have a Face and Necklift?

Rosacea is under control, but I have thin skin. Thank you

Rosacea and Facelift surgery

+3
There are no contra-indications for rosacea and facelift surgery. The lifting in a facelift when done properly is addressed in the deeper tissues and does not effect the skin. You may see some dryness right after surgery or a possible flare up due to the stress however this dissipates quickly and is not a problem.

Rosacea and a facelift

+2

Yes it is safe to proceed with your facelift. Thin skin is not a problem either. If your surgeon has access to a Sciton Joule laser/IPL platform then your Rosacea can be addressed at the same time as your face lift. I have done it many times with very nice outcomes. The reason it is feasible is that areas where Rosacea occur are typicaaly near the nose and onto the cheeks. These areas dont get undermined to lift in a face lift so they are safe to add Broad Band Light, or a pulsed dye laser such as a Candela V Beam. Then you can heal in the same time from both modalities and it should turn out very well. Good Luck

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Rosacea and Face Lift surgery

+2

There is no contra-indication to having a facelift if you have rosacea.  It is possible that the rosacea will worsen for a short time after the surgery, but this is usually not the case.  This is what we have seen in our practice.  Logically, since the lifting in a facelift (if done properly) is from the deeper tissues, the skin shouldn't be affected.

David Alessi, MD

Face and neck lift in patient with rosacea. Is it safe?

+2

Certainly, it is safe.  The presence of rosacea (which is so very common) is not at all a contraindication to having face and neck lift surgery.   I hope this puts your mind at ease.  Good luck with your procedure!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facelift Can Be Done With Rosacea

+2

It is reasonable to consider a facelift if you have Rosacea, but there are  important risks and considerations.

• It is important to recognize that stress can make Rosacea worse: undergoing any surgery is stressful, even if it is elective cosmetic surgery.
  • There is a tendency for thin, delicate skin with telangiectasia ("broken capillaries" or "spider veins") to develop more of these with surgical facelift or laser resurfacing procedures.
  • Steroid medications, including creams and ointments can cause significant impairment to healing after surgery.

A thoughtful approach combining the expertise of your Dermatologist and your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is important in advising you in determining if the benefits outweigh the risks. With this approach, many people with Rosacea have successfully benefited from facial rejuvenation procedures.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rosacea and Facelift

+1

In most cases, having Rosacea does not increase your chances of experiencing complications. You should be able to have a facelift or neck lift, but I strongly suggest you consult your surgeon and discuss your concerns prior to surgery.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Rosacea and face lift

+1

There should be no major problem with rosacea and a face lift.  A couple of minor issues:

1. Rosacea makes your skin more vascular so you are at slightly increased risk for bleeding
  2. Rosacea makes your skin more sensitive to healing ointments you may be using

Sam Naficy, MD

Facelift with Rosacea

+1

While I personally have never had this problem, I do feel it is something to be concerned with, and as a result, I would have you obtain preop clearance from your dermatologist, stating that this facial surgery is not a risky procedure.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne rosacea and facelift

+1

No, as long as you don't have an active skin infection, rosacea does not affect the safety of a facelift. As a matter of fact, the rosacea can be treated with a Laser at the same time as the facelift.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Thin, fragile skin is safe for face and neck lifts with precautions

+1

Certainly a face and neck lift could be considered in someone with skin like yours.  However, because your skin may be somewhat thin and, perhaps, more fragile than more normal skin, care should be taken to perform any lifting or tightening at a level deep to the skin. 

I believe that this is the most effective method of performing a face and neck lift in all patients to give the most natural final outcome with as little tension on the skin as possible.  In this way, any scars are as well hidden as possible, the skin does not look unnaturally thinned out, and what I refer to as the “wind tunnel” look is easily avoided.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon