What Type of Surgery to Improve Jawline/Profile? (photo)

I've always hated my profile and believe my face looks overly feminine (lack of a clear jawline) and gaunt (nasolabial folds etc). I am undergoing orthodontic work for moderate overcrowding but am realistic that I may need further cosmetic work. Being on a budget I'd have to have one surgery at a time. I am considering jaw and chin implants, neck liposuction and rhinoplasty. Which is likely to have the biggest impact?

Surgery to improve jawline/profile

+1

A chin implant improves the chin profile by augmenting a weak retrusive chin.  This will bring the chin and mandible into alignment with the other facial features.  Any excess fat underneath in the neck can be removed with a neck lift.  The neck lift addresses both the fat above and below the platysmal muscle in the neck to recreate a jaw line by sculpting the neck.  The chin implant would give the most improvement if the patient had to choose only 1 procedure.

Jawline

+1

I would recommend a chin implant with sub mental liposuction and possible muscle tightening. Thi swill give you a dramatic change. Good luck.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving the Jawline

+1

The first thing to address if your orthognatic work.  You may benefit from a sliding genioplasty or chin implant, depending on what needs to be done to your teeth.  This would probably bring the biggest impact, followed by neck liposuction.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Jawline issues

+1

What would be the biggest impact?  First, you need to be assessed on your bite and general occlusion.  Sometimes special x-rays are performed to assess the relationship between the jaw( mandible) and the cheek bones ( maxilla).  This may require bony work.  A chin implant and or SAL may also be beneficial.

Chin implant and liposuction of the neck work very well together.

+1

Hi.

1)  That is the combination that will have the biggest impact on your profile and general appearance., just going by your pictures.  It is safe surgery with quick recovery.  I would do them together if you possibly can.

2)  Again, just going by your pictures, I would not recommend a rhinoplasty.  Good luck!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

There is no question that orthognathic surgery will have the biggest impact.

+1

I would recommend getting properly worked up.  You may have functional airway issues that you are not aware of and it is possible that some of the jaw work might be considered medically necessary (depending on your converage).  A very good oral surgeon or an otolaryngologist who focuses on orthognathic surgery can help your with this.  They can also assess your overall facial aesthetics.  It may very well be that by increasing the projection of the jaw, your neck soft tissue and nose will be in better balance without undertaking rhinoplasty or neck liposuction.  This may be a much more satisfactory approach than having a chin implant.

Jaw surgery

+1

The problem you present can be quite complex.  It requires a thorough set of x-ray studies and geometric measurements to properly reconcile the disproportion between your upper jaw and lower jaw.  Your lower jaw appears very recessed.  Some people may recommend a chin implant as a quick fix, but that may correct your profile in a simplistic way.  You need a thorough evaluation with an orthognathic surgeon (jaw surgeon) to properly look at your dental relationship (your bite) in relation to your upper and lower jaw positions.  Depending on the measurements, you may need surgery on your lower jaw, chin only, or upper and lower jaws.  Seek an orthognathic surgeon to more thoroughly go over this with you.  Be cautious of implant usage, which has a whole list of unfavorable problems, such as bone erosion, displacement and palpability.

Andre Panossian, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon