How Long After 300cc Submuscular Breast Implants Can I Go Running?

I had breast augmentation one week ago (300 cc, under the muscle). I run around 50 miles a week and want to know when I can start running again without risk to the implant?

Wait 3 weeks after sub-muscular breast augmentation to do long distance running

+3

Thank you for your question. Of course you must follow the directions of the plastic surgeon who performed your surgery.

In my practice I encouraged patients to wait 3 weeks before very vigorous exercise such as long distance running. Long-distance running increase his blood flow and the recent surgical areas of the breast and experienced swelling and discomfort with rapid increase his in heart rate and blood flow for the first 2 weeks postop.

Exercise after breast implants

+2

It depends on the size of implants and extent of surgery, so best to ask your surgeon. For most patients, I would recommend avoiding running or any strenuous exercise for six weeks.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation depends on each surgeon and patient

+2

There is no risk to the implant if you jog, lift weights, or exercise too early but you are at an elevated risk of getting  a hematoma or seroma.  It is rare, but early on in your healing process an increase in blood pressure and motion may open a small vessel that was previously cauterized.  My post-operative instructions are nothing vigourous for 2 weeks, a week of transition where activity is increased gradually, then full activity afterwards.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Running after augmentation

+2

I have my patients avoid running for 4 weeks after surgery. That may be somewhat conservative but you surely do not want to get a hematoma from resuming vigorous exercising too quickly. I am okay with a augmentaion patient walking on a treadmill at 2 weeks. Hope you make an uneventful recovery!

Ann F. Reilley, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation

+2

In general, I usualy let my patients go back to aerobic type acitivities by 3-4 weeks post-op and heavy lifting by 6-8 weeks.

Running risk?

+1
Dear Tina,
Thank you for your post. I am very protective of my patients with augmentations who are runners. I recommend that they buy the athleta underwire sports bra with the front adjustable straps. My patients really like this bra for running and find that it holds them very stable. It is cupped instead of compressing the breasts together. Some patients use an additional regular sports bra on top of this for extra security. Some like it for everyday wear in the initial post-operative period. Using a regular sports bra that just compresses the breast together rather than cups that keep their shape can cause flattening of the breasts especially in the early post operative period and wearing a bra that doesn't have enough support, especially when running or any bouncing type activity, can cause bottoming out or stretching of the breasts. I would, however, wait 6 weeks for running type activities.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

After Three weeks

+1
Normally, I recommend patients start exercising after three weeks, at which time you will be able to begin your regular exercise routine, specifically aerobic and lower body weight training. Upper body weight training and push-ups should not be done until six weeks after your surgery. These guidelines are put into place to protect your body while it recovers. Any strenuous exercise too soon will increase your risk of developing complications, some of which require another surgery to correct.

Remember to wear a very good sports bra on your runs.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Exercise after BAM

+1

Most of my patients are comfortable to return to a desk job in a matter of days.   So if you have your procedure on a Thurs or Fri, you should be fine to go to class on Monday.   But no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 3-4 weeks.  I will clear my patients to start exercise as tolerated or resume heavy lifting in 3-4 weeks after their surgery *gradually*   The key word here is gradually.  You should be cleared to resume your activities without restrictions 4 weeks after your procedure.  Many of my patients have your activity level and some are semi-pro athletes or fitness professionals.  All have been able to return to their baseline strength and activity level without difficulty.  Please talk to your PS about his/her specific recommendations.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Running after breast augmentation

+1

Hello Tina. As a runner, I know it's frustrating to not be able to run for a long period of time, but the last thing you want is a complication.  I advise my patients to start light exercise such as walking after about 2-3 weeks, depending on how they're healing.  Running 50 miles/week is definitely not light exercise. Congratulations on being in such great shape, but I would advise waiting 6 weeks.  

Of course, it's important to keep all your post op appointments with your plastic surgeon and seek their opinion. I hope this helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Running after breast augmentation with breast implants under the muscle

+1

The most important thing is to check withyour Board certified Plastic Surgeon to find out the specifics of their postoperative routine. I typically ask my patients to wait 3 weeks and I ask them to wear a special sports bra and an ace wrap for running until they are 6 weeks postop.

Laurie Casas, MD