How Long After 300cc Submuscular Breast Implants Can I Go Running?

I had breast augmentation one week ago (300 cc, under the muscle). I run around 50 miles a week and want to know when I can start running again without risk to the implant?

Wait 3 weeks after sub-muscular breast augmentation to do long distance running

+3

Thank you for your question. Of course you must follow the directions of the plastic surgeon who performed your surgery.

In my practice I encouraged patients to wait 3 weeks before very vigorous exercise such as long distance running. Long-distance running increase his blood flow and the recent surgical areas of the breast and experienced swelling and discomfort with rapid increase his in heart rate and blood flow for the first 2 weeks postop.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/result-oriented-breast-augmentation-breast-enlargement/

Exercise after breast implants

+2

It depends on the size of implants and extent of surgery, so best to ask your surgeon. For most patients, I would recommend avoiding running or any strenuous exercise for six weeks.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation depends on each surgeon and patient

+2

There is no risk to the implant if you jog, lift weights, or exercise too early but you are at an elevated risk of getting  a hematoma or seroma.  It is rare, but early on in your healing process an increase in blood pressure and motion may open a small vessel that was previously cauterized.  My post-operative instructions are nothing vigourous for 2 weeks, a week of transition where activity is increased gradually, then full activity afterwards.

Dr Repta

Web reference: http://drrepta.com

Running after augmentation

+2

I have my patients avoid running for 4 weeks after surgery. That may be somewhat conservative but you surely do not want to get a hematoma from resuming vigorous exercising too quickly. I am okay with a augmentaion patient walking on a treadmill at 2 weeks. Hope you make an uneventful recovery!

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation

+2

In general, I usualy let my patients go back to aerobic type acitivities by 3-4 weeks post-op and heavy lifting by 6-8 weeks.

Exercise after BAM

+1

Most of my patients are comfortable to return to a desk job in a matter of days.   So if you have your procedure on a Thurs or Fri, you should be fine to go to class on Monday.   But no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 3-4 weeks.  I will clear my patients to start exercise as tolerated or resume heavy lifting in 3-4 weeks after their surgery *gradually*   The key word here is gradually.  You should be cleared to resume your activities without restrictions 4 weeks after your procedure.  Many of my patients have your activity level and some are semi-pro athletes or fitness professionals.  All have been able to return to their baseline strength and activity level without difficulty.  Please talk to your PS about his/her specific recommendations.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Running after breast augmentation

+1

Hello Tina. As a runner, I know it's frustrating to not be able to run for a long period of time, but the last thing you want is a complication.  I advise my patients to start light exercise such as walking after about 2-3 weeks, depending on how they're healing.  Running 50 miles/week is definitely not light exercise. Congratulations on being in such great shape, but I would advise waiting 6 weeks.  

Of course, it's important to keep all your post op appointments with your plastic surgeon and seek their opinion. I hope this helps and wish you all the best!

Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Running after breast augmentation with breast implants under the muscle

+1

The most important thing is to check withyour Board certified Plastic Surgeon to find out the specifics of their postoperative routine. I typically ask my patients to wait 3 weeks and I ask them to wear a special sports bra and an ace wrap for running until they are 6 weeks postop.

Web reference: http://www.casas.md/breast-augmentation/

Running after breast augmentation surgery

+1
Typically, I restrict patients from any heavy lifting or strenuous activity for two weeks after breast augmentation surgery. I let patients slowly ease into their usual activities after these two weeks. Patients are allowed to start running after 4 weeks. Every plastic surgeon is different though in regards to post op activities. It would be best if you asked your plastic surgeon for their opinion in that they have the most knowledge about your particular situation.
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

How Long After 300cc Submuscular Breast Implants Can I Go Running?Answer:

+1

For my patients, no running or bouncing for 2 weeks (stationary bike prior to that whenever they feel like it) and after 2 weeks, see how it feels. People talk about not getting heart rate up but that has not worried me…just the bouncing for 2 weeks…

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon