How Long After 300cc Submuscular Breast Implants Can I Go Running?

I had breast augmentation one week ago (300 cc, under the muscle). I run around 50 miles a week and want to know when I can start running again without risk to the implant?

Wait 3 weeks after sub-muscular breast augmentation to do long distance running

+3

Thank you for your question. Of course you must follow the directions of the plastic surgeon who performed your surgery.

In my practice I encouraged patients to wait 3 weeks before very vigorous exercise such as long distance running. Long-distance running increase his blood flow and the recent surgical areas of the breast and experienced swelling and discomfort with rapid increase his in heart rate and blood flow for the first 2 weeks postop.

Exercise after breast implants

+2

It depends on the size of implants and extent of surgery, so best to ask your surgeon. For most patients, I would recommend avoiding running or any strenuous exercise for six weeks.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Running after augmentation

+2

I have my patients avoid running for 4 weeks after surgery. That may be somewhat conservative but you surely do not want to get a hematoma from resuming vigorous exercising too quickly. I am okay with a augmentaion patient walking on a treadmill at 2 weeks. Hope you make an uneventful recovery!

Ann F. Reilley, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation

+2

In general, I usualy let my patients go back to aerobic type acitivities by 3-4 weeks post-op and heavy lifting by 6-8 weeks.

How long to wait after breast augmentation before running

+1
First of all, please check with your PS, as everyone's recommendation will vary slightly.  In my practice I recommend that runners wait 4 to 6 weeks after breast augmentation before resuming running.  Whether to wait four or six weeks will depend on how your are feeling and the size of the implants.  I also recommend that patients wear two sports bras when they resume running and "listen to their bodies."  If it still hurts, then give it a little more time and try a non-impact workout instead.  Good luck. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Running after Breast Augmentation

+1
Each surgeon has his or her guidelines for postoperative care. Generally, you can begin light activity 5 to 7 days post surgery. More strenuous activity can begin as soon as 3 to 6 weeks depending on how you are healing. Consult with your surgeon and follow his or her instruction as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Running risk?

+1
Dear Tina,
Thank you for your post. I am very protective of my patients with augmentations who are runners. I recommend that they buy the athleta underwire sports bra with the front adjustable straps. My patients really like this bra for running and find that it holds them very stable. It is cupped instead of compressing the breasts together. Some patients use an additional regular sports bra on top of this for extra security. Some like it for everyday wear in the initial post-operative period. Using a regular sports bra that just compresses the breast together rather than cups that keep their shape can cause flattening of the breasts especially in the early post operative period and wearing a bra that doesn't have enough support, especially when running or any bouncing type activity, can cause bottoming out or stretching of the breasts. I would, however, wait 6 weeks for running type activities.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

After Three weeks

+1
Normally, I recommend patients start cardio and lower body training after three weeks, and that includes running. However, you should start off slowly and increase intensity.

Remember to wear a very good sports bra on your runs.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Exercise after BAM

+1

Most of my patients are comfortable to return to a desk job in a matter of days.   So if you have your procedure on a Thurs or Fri, you should be fine to go to class on Monday.   But no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 3-4 weeks.  I will clear my patients to start exercise as tolerated or resume heavy lifting in 3-4 weeks after their surgery *gradually*   The key word here is gradually.  You should be cleared to resume your activities without restrictions 4 weeks after your procedure.  Many of my patients have your activity level and some are semi-pro athletes or fitness professionals.  All have been able to return to their baseline strength and activity level without difficulty.  Please talk to your PS about his/her specific recommendations.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Running after breast augmentation

+1

Hello Tina. As a runner, I know it's frustrating to not be able to run for a long period of time, but the last thing you want is a complication.  I advise my patients to start light exercise such as walking after about 2-3 weeks, depending on how they're healing.  Running 50 miles/week is definitely not light exercise. Congratulations on being in such great shape, but I would advise waiting 6 weeks.  

Of course, it's important to keep all your post op appointments with your plastic surgeon and seek their opinion. I hope this helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon