How Long Does It Take for All of the Swelling to Go Down After Breast Augmentation

I'm 5'4" 128 pounds. Pre-op B/C cup. At pre-op appointment they had me try on standard profile saline sizers, I thought 500-550cc looked best and PS thought 600cc. I wanted was to be a DD. I went under the muscle, crease incision, silcone and PS said he only uses HP. 6 days post-op I measured 34DD, 15 days post-op I'm measuring 34F. I can't put my arms down because implant is sticking out of my armpits. I'm not happy they're way too big. How much swelling goes down and how fast??

Recovery After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
Most of your swelling should subside around the six week mark. It is important to be patient and follow up with your board-certified surgeon with any concerns you may have. Best of luck.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

3-4 Months But Could Be Longer

When implants are first inserted, they sit high up because your tissues are tight and gravity hasn't taken effect. Over time, natural tissue expansion occurs to allow the implants to fall into place. By this time, your breasts will have taken on a more natural contour, where the lower breasts become softer and rounder. Please wait at least four months for this to happen.

Swelling after Breast Augmentation can take 3 months to resolve.

Typically after Breast Augmentation the Breasts are swollen and the Breast Implant rides high for about 3 months. Usually by three months the Breast Implants have settled and reach a more natural shape and size.

Extra sweling and high riding Breast Implants are more common after the placement of very large Breast Implants, and 600cc is considered a large Breast Implant.

Be sure to see your doctor who performed your Breast Augmentation and express your concerns.

Swelling after breast augmentation

I certainly feel that swelling persists in the tissue following breast augmentation for a few months.  I usually don't find that the swelling produces extra cup sizes, but it is possible.  If the onset of this intense swelling has been somewhat sudden, I would see your plastic surgeon to make sure that there is no sign of bleeding or hematoma (blood collection).  If all appears well, then it may take 3 months or more to truly appreciate the end size.  I will say that for your height and weight, an implant in that size range is very generous and you will look large for your frame with or without swelling.  It will not be unusual for you to feel the edge of the implant against your arm when it is against your body.  That is an issue you may have to accept if you decide to keep implants in that range.