How Long Does It Take for All of the Swelling to Go Down After Breast Augmentation

I'm 5'4" 128 pounds. Pre-op B/C cup. At pre-op appointment they had me try on standard profile saline sizers, I thought 500-550cc looked best and PS thought 600cc. I wanted was to be a DD. I went under the muscle, crease incision, silcone and PS said he only uses HP. 6 days post-op I measured 34DD, 15 days post-op I'm measuring 34F. I can't put my arms down because implant is sticking out of my armpits. I'm not happy they're way too big. How much swelling goes down and how fast??

3-4 Months But Could Be Longer

+1
You should wait for about three to four months before assessing your results. At the moment, you probably have some swelling that will gradually subside. Also, your breasts haven't dropped and fluffed.

When breast implants are first put into your body, they typically sit higher up in the chest. This is because it’s the path of least resistance – your body requires some time to adjust to their presence, regardless of whether they’ve been placed in a sub-mammary (between breast tissue and chest muscle) or sub-muscular (under both the breast and chest muscle). Immediately following surgery, you’ll find that your newly enhanced breasts appear very full and swollen, especially in the upper portion above the nipples. Your skin will most likely look very tight and your nipples may point slightly downward as well. This may make the shape and overall appearance of your breasts appear unnatural. As your body accommodates to your new implants, you’ll notice that your breasts will gradually look more and more natural – the way you hoped they’d be! Over the course of about three to four months, your body creates new skin to accommodate the additional volume of your implants. This natural process is called “tissue expansion”, and relieves the tightness you may be experiencing. It allows for the implants to settle more into a better position with the help of gravity. A gradual redistribution of volume from the upper to the lower breast occurs, resulting in an enlargement and rounding out of the lower breast. This can happen faster in one breast than the other.

Although it's often called "dropping", it is more like "redistribution". The "fluffing" part refers to the impression that the lower breast enlarges and that your skin softens with the creation of new tissues. The extent to which this occurs depends on several factors, including the implant size, the tightness of your skin, and your body shape.  

Swelling after Breast Augmentation can take 3 months to resolve.

+1

Typically after Breast Augmentation the Breasts are swollen and the Breast Implant rides high for about 3 months. Usually by three months the Breast Implants have settled and reach a more natural shape and size.

Extra sweling and high riding Breast Implants are more common after the placement of very large Breast Implants, and 600cc is considered a large Breast Implant.

Be sure to see your doctor who performed your Breast Augmentation and express your concerns.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Swelling after breast augmentation

+1

I certainly feel that swelling persists in the tissue following breast augmentation for a few months.  I usually don't find that the swelling produces extra cup sizes, but it is possible.  If the onset of this intense swelling has been somewhat sudden, I would see your plastic surgeon to make sure that there is no sign of bleeding or hematoma (blood collection).  If all appears well, then it may take 3 months or more to truly appreciate the end size.  I will say that for your height and weight, an implant in that size range is very generous and you will look large for your frame with or without swelling.  It will not be unusual for you to feel the edge of the implant against your arm when it is against your body.  That is an issue you may have to accept if you decide to keep implants in that range.

Jennifer Lauren Crawford, MD