Right Flank Lipoma Recovery Time?

I have a large (8.5 x 5.0 cm) lipoma in the right flank area right beneath the external oblique muscle (yes, it is intra-muscular), just wondering how long recovery time will be and should I go with a general surgeon or a plastic surgeon (not sure if any abdominal wall reconstruction is necessary). Thank you.

Right Flank Lipoma Recovery Time?

+1

Recovery after excision of a lipoma is generally 2-4 weeks depending on the size and location, and your overall health and activities.  It is most often a straightforward procedure that can be performed by either a general or plastic surgeon.  Abdominal wall recontruction is very rarely if ever needed for lipoma excisions.

Daytona Beach Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Excision of Lipoma?

+1

It is difficult to generalize about recovery time after surgery; every patient's recovery is different depending on the exact procedure performed and specific patient personality/pain threshold etc. Generally speaking however excision of a lipoma is a relatively straightforward procedure that can be performed by a well-trained general or plastic surgeon. It is unlikely that “abdominal wall reconstruction” will be necessary. Given the size of the lipoma the use of a drain may be helpful.  I would suggest a recovery/rest of  2 to 4 weeks. More specific advice will depend on specific activities/work that you wish to return to.