Right Flank Lipoma Recovery Time?

I have a large (8.5 x 5.0 cm) lipoma in the right flank area right beneath the external oblique muscle (yes, it is intra-muscular), just wondering how long recovery time will be and should I go with a general surgeon or a plastic surgeon (not sure if any abdominal wall reconstruction is necessary). Thank you.

Right Flank Lipoma Recovery Time?

Recovery after excision of a lipoma is generally 2-4 weeks depending on the size and location, and your overall health and activities.  It is most often a straightforward procedure that can be performed by either a general or plastic surgeon.  Abdominal wall recontruction is very rarely if ever needed for lipoma excisions.

Daytona Beach Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Excision of Lipoma?

It is difficult to generalize about recovery time after surgery; every patient's recovery is different depending on the exact procedure performed and specific patient personality/pain threshold etc. Generally speaking however excision of a lipoma is a relatively straightforward procedure that can be performed by a well-trained general or plastic surgeon. It is unlikely that “abdominal wall reconstruction” will be necessary. Given the size of the lipoma the use of a drain may be helpful.  I would suggest a recovery/rest of  2 to 4 weeks. More specific advice will depend on specific activities/work that you wish to return to.