How Can One Get Rid of Ridging (A Raised Elevated Hairline), Can the Hair Grafts Be Removed to Reduce the Ridging?

Hair Transplantation and Ridging

+1

There is not a very reliable way to do this. Any of these (or a combination) can be done depending on your surgeon and presentation:

1. Steroid injections
  2. Grafting hairs to camouflage it
  3. Removal of grafts with tissue to debulk area
  4. Excision

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Reducing Ridging

+1

Yes.  The hair grafts and the associated elevated skin can be excised and usually this can reduce any elevated or ridging of the skin.  I assume you are referring to the previous use of large plug grafts.

Jack Fisher, MD

Treatment for ridging

+1

The usual condition described as "ridging" is an arc of elevated thickened scalp skin after repeated old fashioned punch grafts were done to create maximum density for a front hairline. The only success I have had in treating this condition is to cut out the full thickness of skin and settle for a fine scar that usually fades away. One has to have a flexible scalp and forehead and limited ridging (at the most, 4cm from front to back) to do this .

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon