How Can One Get Rid of Ridging (A Raised Elevated Hairline), Can the Hair Grafts Be Removed to Reduce the Ridging?

It's hard to fix a scar or ridging.

It's hard to fix a scar or ridging.  Dr. Umar gave a good detailed list. You would need an exam before considering options.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplantation and Ridging

There is not a very reliable way to do this. Any of these (or a combination) can be done depending on your surgeon and presentation:

1. Steroid injections
  2. Grafting hairs to camouflage it
  3. Removal of grafts with tissue to debulk area
  4. Excision

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Reducing Ridging

Yes.  The hair grafts and the associated elevated skin can be excised and usually this can reduce any elevated or ridging of the skin.  I assume you are referring to the previous use of large plug grafts.

Jack Fisher, MD

Treatment for ridging

The usual condition described as "ridging" is an arc of elevated thickened scalp skin after repeated old fashioned punch grafts were done to create maximum density for a front hairline. The only success I have had in treating this condition is to cut out the full thickness of skin and settle for a fine scar that usually fades away. One has to have a flexible scalp and forehead and limited ridging (at the most, 4cm from front to back) to do this .

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon