Is There Hair Transplant Surgery to Anchor Posts to Attach Wigs or Extensions?

Is transdermal anchors for extensions common?

Hair Replacement

+1

Transdermal anchors for extensions are not common for hair transplant surgery. The Japanese do a method of hair transplantation using synthetic hair, but the FDA bans this practice in the United States due to safety risks. Even different forms of weaving, where additional hair is supplemented on the scalp by braiding, bonding, fusion or netting, can damage the hair you already have. I suggest looking into follicular unit extraction (FUE).

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Anchor devices for hairpeces.

+1

Around 15-18 years ago, a system for bone anchors implanted in the skull and protuding above the surace of the skin was developed. A hairpece system which had female snap , snapped onto the protruding male snaps . This seemed to be a secure way to always get the hairpece  in the same position and allowed the wearer to remove the system at night. This just did not become popular.

Also,  I would not recommend a suture attachment ( a typeof transdermal attachment)  for a hair system although such approaches were done in the past.

I am hesitant to recomend hair extensions as I constantly see damage to existing thinning hair from them. Of course, I may only be seeing the complications from extensions and there may be many people who have had no problems.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon