Can Rib Cartilage Grafts be Trimmed or Removed After Being Placed During Revision Rhinoplasty?

i had rev. rhino a few months ago and i feel the projection is too much and bridge is too much... (i had coll. strut graft and dorsal onlay)... my question is can they be trimmed/removed??? how much PROJECTION does a strut give? if it is reduced or removed, how much deprojection would i expect to get? also, will taking down a dorsal onlay graft have any negative effects (leaving a dent, i read somewhere online) or is it just like regular bone where the skin cleanly redrapes over it... thanks

Reduction of Rib Cartilage Grafts

+1

Rib cartilage grafts can be trimmed or removed to decrease the projection of your bridge or tip. There is a possibility of having some contour irregularity after modifying these grafts, but the risk is minimal if the work is done by an experienced surgeon.

Modifying rib cartilage graft

+1

Rib cartilage grafts can be adjusted via trimming. The graft could be removed but that may cause issues with skin redraping. I would recommend letting your nose heal for at least 1 year after surgery before considering any additional surgery.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Cartilage graft revisions

+1

Yes, your cartilage grafts can be modified and adjusted to accomodate the changes that you want.  Usuaully one removes the impalnts and shaves it down and replaces it with the same or new graft.

+1

Yes they can but it's a bit tricky because the cartilage/bone rib graft is softer than your own nasal bones...so rasping the graft may lead to larger segments coming off than desired.  Rib grafts tend to dissolve unevenly, over the years, IMHO and for that reason I don't use them or ear cartilage for building up the nasal bridge.  I prefer the straight siilastic dorsal implant for that purpose.  It's stable and more reliable IMO.  Be sure that the Rhinoplasty Surgeon, you select, understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose.