Much Rhinoplasty Swelling After 9 Months- Normal? (photo)

its been 9 months since i had my rhinoplasty operation, and i still have quite a bit of swelling on my sidewalls and tip., i have gotten a few steroid injections within 3 months apart, and a few days after those injections my nose looks amazing , but a few weeks later my nose swelling up again. any help here? my sodium intake its pretty high because all the foods i eat ive realized are pretty high in sodium, will cutting back on sodium for a while help my swelling go down a lot? The pictures i have posted shows how my nose looks when it is relaxed, and the other one when i scrunch up my tip. it doesn't indicate how my swelling went down...

Much Rhinoplasty Swelling 9 Months after Surgery

+1

Swelling can be present 9 months after surgery in patients like you with thick skin. The fact that nasal appearance still changes indicates that healing is still progressing. Hopefully you will achieve the desired result.

Swelling at nine months

+1

Based on your photos it appears that you have thick skin.  Thicker skin noses in general need plenty of time to develop their final shape – you may wish to see your surgeon for additional steroid injections if he/she feels it is safe to do

Sam Naficy, MD

Rhinoplasty Swelling

+1

Your photos are taken presumably very close to your face and give a fish-eye view i.e. distorted. However, it looks as though you have a very thick skin and moderate amount of scarring which leads to fluid retention in your nose. This is a normal process for your type of nose. The skin should have been thinned and steroid used earlier on to prevent scar formation.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post rhinoplasty swelling

+1
Your photograph is difficult to see the entire nose and without a preoperative photograph for comparison it is hard to determine what percentage of swelling you have left. With that said it does appear you have thick skin and thick skinned patients do take longer to completely heal. The majority of the swelling should be gone at nine months and the remainder will slowly dissipate over the next three months or so. Sodium is a contender with swelling and you should try and remain on a low sodium diet, sleep elevated with a few pillows behind your head, and watch excessive heat that may increase tissue swelling i.e. Saunas etc.. I tell my patients if they walk the perimeter of the grocery store when shopping and don't go in any middle aisles you will find your low sodium natural foods. I would also go in and discuss your concerns with your surgeon and hopefully he/she can put your mind at ease. I would avoid any further steroid treatments. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD