How Long Do Cartilage Grafts Take to Heal? Did I Damage It With a Viral Illness 2 Month PO?

I will be 8 weeks post op on Tuesday and for the last 7 days I have had a terrible cold, and have been blowing my nose alot the last few days. I had a cartilage graft put in the right side of the nose to build it up and this morning when blowing my nose I accidentally banged the graft area and I have noticed that I can feel the graft on the inside. Is it possible I damaged the graft with this cold? How long do cartilage grafts take to heal? Is it normal to be able to feel them?

Viral Infection 8 Weeks after Nasal Cartilage Grafts

+2

A viral infection should have no effect on the cartilage grafts 8 weeks after your rhinoplasty.. Although unlikely, hitting your nose could dislodge the graft. It would be best if you do not continue to feel inside your nose; consult with your surgeon.

Cartilage grafts after rhinoplasty

+2

It takes about 6-8 wks for the grafts to "anchor" in place. Unless there is a hard blow to the nose and depending on the direction, the grafts may be displaced.  

Assuming there is no injury and as the swelling decreases the grafts may be palpable.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Viral cold in early stages of healing

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing you in person and examining your nose – you should consider seeing your surgeon for an assessment

Sam Naficy, MD