Will Accidentally Hitting the Nose Affect Rhinoplasty Results?

I had my Rhinoplasty surgery done about 8 weeks ago. However, I don't know whether 6 weeks post-op is fully healed or just some strength regained. Today, I was acccidentally hit in the nose by my friend's shoulder. It was pretty hard but not extremely hard. I have not seen any big changes to the shape but there's a little difference that's visible. It may be the swelling caused by the impact. Is it safe to say it wont move at this point? Should I worry? Is it fixable, and will it ever look as good if I was to have surgery again? Please help.

Trauma after Rhinoplasty

+1
It is possible to fracture your nose at anytime and without a thorough examination it is difficult to say if you have caused any true damage to your rhinoplasty. However, at eight weeks post-op the bones should be pretty well healed. I have seen many patients with similar accidents, being bumped by their children or spouses so this is not uncommon. In these many cases I have only seen one patient actually fracture their nose requiring a revision surgery. You should be fine and I wish you a quick and safe recovery! Best regards!

Rhinoplasty - hit nose

+1

Although your nose should be healed by 6 weeks, any trauma to it could cause a shift in the underlying structures.  If you have any concerns, you should see your surgeon to have him/her check it.  He or she should help reassure you and answer any questions you may have about your nose.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Trauma After Rhinoplasty

+1

The appearance of a nose will continue to change for more than 8 weeks after surgery. The change noted after trauma may be secondary to swelling which will resolve. It is always possible for a person to break their nose, whether or not they've had nasal surgery. Certainly you are more vulnerable during the healing process. Be patient; if there is an unfavorable contour it can be revised.

Your Rhinoplasty results probably okay

+1

The bones should be pretty well healed after 4-6 weeks after surgery. Usually, when someone breaks their nose, it is pretty obvious.

Having said that, I always think it it best to be examined by your surgeon. It is impossible to know for sure unless you undergo a complete exam by the surgeon who operated on you.

I have had several patients with similar accidents weeks after their rhinoplasty. Not a single one has ever had a fracture or shift in their cartilage. So, usually it is fine. Sometimes there could be some swelling where you were hit. This might be the change you are seeing.

Again, the best thing to do is to call your surgeon, explain your situation and go in for an exam to be sure.

John Diaz, MD

Injury to post rhinoplasty (nose job) result

+1

Without photos and an examination, it is impossible to tell.

In any event, the bones should be well healed by 6 weeks but this does not mean that you did not fracture them.

TYpically swelling will improve within 4-7 days. You need to have your nose re-assessed at this point to determine if there was any disfiguring damage caused by the injury. There is no problem in waiting up to 2-3 weeks after the surgery to have corrective surgery if necessary or required.