Mucus and Nasal Drip After Rhinoplasty?

Is it common to have mucus and post nasal drip 2 weeks after closed reduction Rhinoplasty?

It usually affects me in the morning after getting up. I'm trying not to touch my nose but find it quite difficult not to, being that I have to constantly deal with these thick clear drips. Usually the efforts on my part to clear it up end up leaving physically exhausted and mentally drained.

It's very common to have clear drainage so soon after a...

+2

It's very common to have clear drainage so soon after a rhinoplasty. You may even notice spontaneous drainage which occurs intermittently for many months after your surgery. Keep in mind that the internal tissues of the nose have been subjected to a fair amount of trauma, and their way of reacting is to swell and drain. As your swelling resolves, so will your drainage. Good luck.

Very Common this soon after rhinoplasty

+1

The drainage you are experiencing is very normal after rhinoplasty and should subside.  The inflammation that occurs after rhinoplasty causes excessive mucous to be produced to heal the area.  This many persist for up to one month.

Richard Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Quite normal after a rhinoplasty

+1

For the first 3-4 weeks after a rhinoplasty, it is normal for the internal tissues of the nose to swell and create copious mucus. As the swelling resolves. so will the post-nasal drip. I advise my patients to avoid blowing their noses.

To improve these problems, moisture in the nose is the best thing you can do.

1. Sit in a small bathroom with the shower running, the steam will improve the sysmptoms.
  2. Place saline mist or saline gel inside your nose.

This time of year is ideal in most parts of the country because of the increased humidity, just be patient.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Very common to have drainage two weeks after rhinoplasty but you should check it out.

+1

It is not uncommon at all to have drainage from the nose 2 weeks after rhinoplasty but you need to make sure there are no problem. Some of the other causes could be a retained splint, packing, infection or even a perforation of the septum. Only way to be sure is to go to your surgeon and have them take a look. If it is normal drainage then it may be helped with nasal irrigation which can be purchase over the counter or with steroid nasal spray which needs a prescription. But by all means go to see your surgeon to be sure what it is.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD