Reducing Nose Length Riskier Than Other Nose Jobs?

Is it true that performing a Rhinoplasty to shorten a long nose, which also involves reducing the nostrils for females, more difficult to perform than other nose job beautification procedures? Is the final outcome more aesthetically risky? How do you pick the right surgeon for nose shortening?

Rhinoplasty; Shortening the Nose, How Do I Choose the Right Surgeon?

+4

Hi Jilly,

You appear to be a very beautiful woman from your photograph. Your nose appears to fit your face, and is not dominating your other facial features (though I must comment that your mascara application is a bit heavy).

It is difficult to evaluate the length of your nose in this photo. Perhaps a lateral profile view would be helpful.

When asked, "What should I look for when choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon?” I reply, "The Eye, the Hand, and the Heart".

“Eye” refers to the artistic ability to evaluate the nose and diagnose what is required to restore balance and harmony with a natural un-operated upon appearance. One needs to have a vision of natural, “average” nose.

Beautiful, attractive faces are made up of the combination of average features. The nose should get out of the way of your eyes, lips, and cheek and jaw line contours.

“Hand” is the ability to perform the sculpting necessary in a precise, safe, and effective manner with a skilled and soft gentle touch.

“Heart” is caring about patients with uncommon professional passion and commitment to excellence. This involves close follow up care.

These attributes can be used in all walks of life, no matter what your profession or job may be. Exceptional individuals have a vision of the future, ability to carry out the necessary physical steps, and passion coupled with commitment to achieve their client’s goals.

When choosing your rhinoplasty surgeon (or any other service), put your trust in those who have “the Eye, the Hand, and the Heart” that is right for you.

That having been said, take your time; have multiple consultations, look at before and after pictures carefully. Make sure that they are board certified in plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery, or ENT.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Rhinoplasty: Finding the Right Surgeon

+2

The goal for any rhinoplasty is to produce a natural looking nose that also functions well. The result should provide a nose that is well-proportioned and is in balance and harmony with the other facial features. Thus, shortening a long nose and reducing the nostrils can be a more technically-demanding surgery when compared with a rhinoplasty in which only a hump on the bridge is reduced. It is therefore very important that you find a physician who specializes in rhinoplasty.

Here are Five Tips for Choosing the Right Rhinoplasty Surgeon...

ONE: Find a qualified surgeon who is Board Certified in either Otolaryngology (ENT) or Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. Not all "cosmetic surgeons" have undergone the rigorous training in accredited residency programs that allow them to become Board Certified in either of these two specialties.

TWO: Choose an surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty. Not all ENTs or Plastic Surgeons routinely perform rhinoplasty. It is important to find one who does. Rhinoplasty takes considerable experience to get predictable results.

THREE: View the surgeon's rhinoplasty before and after photos to see the types of results they get. Most surgeons have examples of their work on their websites and in their office. You can tell alot about the type of result you potentially will get by looking at other patients with a similar shaped nose.

FOUR: Ask to see simulated results using your own photographs. Many rhinoplasty specialists will use either computer morphing software or tracing paper to demonstrate the proposed changes to your nose and how that will affect your overal facial appearance

FIVE: Trust your instincts. It is of the utmost importance that you feel comfortable with your surgeon. You surgeon should understand your goals and desired outcome. Listen to what your gut tells you.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to shorten the nose

+2

Dr. Persky's description of how to pick a surgeon is the best I have heard. Go with it. In regards to your question about shortening the nose. It is not really more challanging then other maneuvers and doesn't carry more risk, but it does at least in my practice require an open approach to the nose. This is a common approach in rhinoplasty. It isn't possible to tell from your photo if this is the appropriate procedure for you.

Edward Buckingham, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shortening a nose that appears to be too long is a very common and straightforward

+1

Shortening a nose that appears to be too long is a very common and straightforward goal of rhinoplasty surgery. The naturally thin appearance of your nose can be easily maintained while shortening the cartilage that is too long, from the inside. This may also involve trimming, or shortening, some of the mucosa (the name given to the “skin” on the inside of the nose). Maintaining the most natural look possible of your nose is always important - so that no one can tell you’ve had nasal surgery.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reducing nose length more complex, perhaps

+1

It is not necessarily more difficult to perform, but there may be more operative steps and issues to address. It may not be as simple as some rhinoplasty cases. If you have thin nasal skin then there are other issues to consider.

I always recommend patients talk to doctors with a high level of training and EXPERIENCE for the specific procedure they are looking for. Find doctors who preform lots of rhinoplasty surgery and are willing to show you photographs of their own patients.

Phillip Langsdon, MD
Germantown Facial Plastic Surgeon