Will Rhinoplasty Affect my Singing?

To correct deviated septum, will it effect a person singing?

Be very careful having Rhinoplasty if you're a singer.

+1

Yes, it sure could affect your voice.  Changing the airflow through your nose by doing a Septoplasty could very well change the nasal quality of your voice, changing its quality and character.  The mere fact of having a surgery and intubation tube placed between your vocal cords could also change your voice.  IMHO, you should have a medic alert bracelet that says use LMA, not endotracheal tube for intubation and you should ask for this if you decide to have your Rhinoplasty.  I have done Rhinoplasty on singers over my 20 + year career but I would never promise them that their voice may not be affected.  If it helps you, it never did to any extent but it is a possibility.

Rhinoplasty and singing

+1

The nasal voice will change slightly depending upon how severe the deviation of the nasal septum is.  There will be more resonance to the voice and the voice will actually be quite nicer after the procedure is performed and after the swelling has subsided.  A septoplasty will affect the nasal voice more than a rhinoplasty.  The rhinoplasty will not affect the voice appreciably.

Will Rhinoplasty Affect Singing?

+1

It's possible but doesn't usually create a problem. I discuss this with all my patients. In my experience over a number of years, including operating on vocalists, I have not had one tell me that their voice was adversely affected. If you are a highly paid professional singer, I would recommend more than one surgical opinion because I do think that it is possible for the resonance of the voice to be affected to some small degree and this might not be something you want to risk.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

"Will Rhinoplasty Effect My Singing Voice?"

+1

Hi Maly,

Just ask Barbara Streisand, Asheley Tisdale, or listen to the late Michael Jackson.  Repair of a deviated septum and/or rhinoplasty should not affect your singing.  At least it hasn't in the professional singers that I have treated.  Do choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Singing and Nasal Surgery

+1

The answer to your question depends on you to a certain degree.

While septoplasty or rhinoplasty will typically affect your nasal resonance, the change is often imperceptable to others. If a change were to occur, most singers feel that it is a positive one. Having more air flow through the nose tends to open up the resonance, reduce effort, and can help with upper register as well.

HOWEVER, if you are known for having a voice with a more closed nasal resonance, then the surgery may cause problems. The only way to recreate your previous sound would be to use your palate differently and close up the nasopharynx again. This usually takes some time and lots of work with your coach and may never fully recreate your preoperative sound.

So it depends on you. Hope this helps

Best of Luck

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty - singing voice

+1

There is always a possibility that your singing voice could change, but it is very unlikely. In my practice I have yet to have a patient with this complaint afterwards.

David E. Kim, MD

Effect of Septoplasty on Singing Voice

+1

It is extremely unlikely that a septoplasty will change our singing voice.  The only exception would be in a singer with a very nasal quality to their voice.

Will Rhinoplasty Affect my Singing?

+1

Rhinoplasty should not substantially affect your singing. Any change is not perceivable. Correction of deviated septum should improve your nasal airway and if you have major deviation with nasal obstruction, then it may affect your singing in a positive way by allowing you to move air through your nose better. Again it should not have a detrimental affect on your singing.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty usually causes no change in one's singing voice.

+1

Rhinoplasty usually causes no change in one's singing voice. Fixing a deviated septum should not alter it.

Rhinoplasty usually has very little effect on the singing voice

+1

I differ in opinion with the popular believe that rhinoplasty will alter the voice of a singer. I used to be in a group practice with an PhD speech-language pathologist who worked with singers from pop and rock to the Metropolitan Opera. A trained singing voice is generated from the chest and larynx. The nose is excluded by the palate. A few rock and roll singers depend on a nasal quality for their sound, but most professionally trained singers will see no difference in their actual singing voice other than maybe getting better air if they have a deviated septum.

I also have operated on the noses of a number of professional singers; rock, Broadway etc. and none have reported any changes in their voice whatsoever. 

Steven J. Pearlman, MD