Does Alarplasty Leave Scars for Life?

I am considering an alarplasty but I'm scared about the scars. How big are the scars? Will they be red, and do they stay forever? Is it possible to view a picture somewhere? I have searched everywhere. Thanks a lot!

Alarplasty Scars Photos

Yes, the scars are permanent but if done properly very well hidden. I am giving you link to the photos of one of my patients, Its the woman on the bottom, she had alarplasty as part of the rhinoplasty and you cannot see the scars. I can even send you close up photos of the alar area if you wish.

Regards

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scars from alarplasty are nearly imperceptible

The incisions for an alarplasty are usually well hidden right on the alar/nasal/facial junction. They do tend to stay slightly pink for the first month or two depending upon skin type and coloration. With time these will fade and heal in the natural crease making them nearly imperceptible.

Does alarplasty leave scars for life?

Yes, the scars will always be there. The best place to "see" what they look like is to go to the surgeon near you and see his results. If I show you great results - that's nice but not an indication of how your doctor would handle such a procedure. Also, skin type is important. Make sure you feel comfortable with the decision.

Michael Kulick, MD

Scarring will appear

As a trusted plastic surgeon, I know that one of the most important aspects of my job is to make the patient’s new, improved appearance look as natural as possible. Scarring can greatly distract from the overall appeal of a nose job, and can make a patient feel self-conscious when they should be feeling confident and excited to show off their new look. Scarring does technically “last forever.” Still, a good surgeon knows exactly where to make the incisions of an alarplasty procedure, hiding the openings in the creases of skin and at distinct angles. In this way, any markings will be well hidden and not really visible to the naked, untrained eye. For a more accurate assessment of how your new nose and any residual scarring will likely heal, ask your surgeon to see before-and-after photos of his or her past patients. 

Sam Rizk, MD

Understanding Alarplasty: What you need to know...

Nostril reduction surgery (called Alarplasty / Alar Base Reduction) is a procedure that can narrow the width of the nostril base, decrease the amount of nostril flaring, or decrease the size of the nostrils.

It is possible to perform this procedure alone or as part of a rhinoplasty. To accomplish narrowing of the nostril base and nostril flaring, an alar base resection is performed by removing a crescent shape wedge of tissue from the nostril wall.

The incisions are placed in the crease where the nostril wall meets the cheek. When performed correctly, the scar is hidden in the "new" crease where the nostril meets the cheek. The incisions can remain red for several weeks, but generally heal very well and are not noticable after that time.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Scars

All skin incisions leave scars always. The goal is to camouflage them in inconspicuous locations. With alarplasty the incisions typically heal well in creases at the base of the nose. Ask your surgeon to show you representative examples. 

This scar should be so well hidden as to be imperceptible

An alar base reduction is an effective procedure to narrow the base of the nose.  It also leaves a nearly imperceptible scar if the incision is placed in the appropriate location.

Cuts leave scars.

As humans, we heal with scars, as apposed to say salamanders which form by regeneration. In the latter for example, the regenerated part eventualy heals without any hint of a scar, even under the microscope!

Anyway, back to your nose. A well execuited incision that heals uneventfully is carefully hidden in natural creases, and eventually, fades and is barely noticeable, even up close. It will take some time for the redness to fade, but is usually fine.

Remember however, sometimes healing doesn't go as expected, and an occasional scar revision may be required- this is minor however.

sek

Alar base scars

A properly performed alarplasty or nasal base reduction will usually leave a minimal scar. However all patients heal differently. With any surgery you must weigh the advantages against the disadvantages in order to dermine if the procedure will be beneficial to you. The possibility of a poor scar is always there and any scar is permanent.

Alarplasty

Alarplasty is a general term for treatment of the nasal alar rims.  It can mean treating the flare or the width or both. Even when the incision goes along the lateral border of the alar rim, they usually heal exceedingly well. Yes, scars are permanent