Can I Later Have Rhinoplasty After Surgery for Deviated Septum?

I have had severe, recurring sinus infections over the last 2 years and I am currently scheduled for sinus surgery in about 2 weeks. This surgery will include correction of a deviated septum caused by a broken nose as a child (I have almost zero airflow in my left nostril). In addition, the doc will remove some polyps and reduce turbinates. My question; I have a slightly crooked nose and am wondering if this surgery will later prohibit me from having rhinoplasty? Thanks!

Rhinoplasty after septoplasty

+1

It is certainly possible to have internal functional nasal surgery, such as sinus surgery or septoplasty performed either together or separate from rhinoplasty surgery.  The downside is that you will have two recovery periods and two anesthetics.  We perform these procedures at the same time so that patients undergo a single anesthetic and a single recovery period, reducing time off from school or work.  Sinus polyps are removed from the internal portion of the sinuses to reduce infections, while turbinate reduction is performed to improve airflow dynamics through the nose.  A deviated septum once repaired will also improve airflow through the nose as well.  Rhinoplasty is done purely for cosmetic purposes.  

Septal surgery followed by rhinoplasty?

+1

While there are clear advantages of combining surgery to improve breathing (septoplasty) with surgery to improve the appearance of the nose (rhinoplasty) and we often recommend performing them simultaneously, in some situations this is not possible or the best option for an individual patient. But many many patients have undergone septal or septal/sinus surgery to later have a very successful and gratifying rhinoplasty. So having one does not close the door for having another nasal surgery later. 

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

You can certainly have rhinoplasty after correction of deviated septum.

+1
Rhinoplasty can be done after surgery is performed to correct a deviated septum. Although oftentimes in rhinoplasty we do use cartilage from the septum for rhinoplasty, if needed, cartilage can be harvested from elsewhere. Sometimes this is from the ear preferably or if quite a bit of cartilage is needed, it can be taken from the rib. In addition, if needed, some will use synthetic implants if they need cartilage and a septoplasty has been previously performed. Although previous septoplasty may alter the surgeon’s plan, rhinoplasty can certainly be performed after surgery for a deviated septum.

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty after septoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty after septoplasty can be performed but cartilage grafts may need to come from another source besides the septum such as the ears. I would not advise to have a rhinoplasty at the same time as sinus surgery as they are completely different surgeries with different goals and you want your surgeon to be focused solely on either the cosmetic aspect or the sinus aspect in order to get the best results possible. Also, most sinus surgeons are not that adept at performing rhinoplasty.

Jason D. Meier, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Having rhinoplasty after prior septoplasty and sinus surgery

+1

You can have a rhinoplasty at a later date after your sinus srugery and septoplasty. However, if septal cartilage is removed during the septal surgery it may limit the amount of cartilage available for your rhinoplasty surgery.

There's no reason you couldn't have a rhinoplasty at the same time as your functional septoplasty and sinus surgery (if you wanted to have it concurrently). I suspect that if you have that severe a septal deviation that you have no airflow, a septoplasty would probably need to be done to allow proper access for the sinus surgery on that side.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty after Surgery for Deviated Septum

+1

Your septal and sinus surgery will not interfere with having a rhinoplasty at a later date. However, I suggest you discuss the possibility of doing the cosmetic work at the same time. It would avoid the need for a second procedure.

Will Septoplasty and Sinus surgery preclude Rhinoplasty later?

+1

No, your Septoplasty and sinus surgery won't interfer with you having a Rhinoplasty at some later date and time.