Post-rhinoplasty in Office Scraping?

I had a septorhinoplasty done in Dec 2010. During my last post op (July 2011) my surgeon told me that he would like to do some more scraping to remove a bump on the bridge of my nose and to shave down some more of the lower part of my nose (top of tip)He told me that he would only administer anesthesia similar to that given when removing wisdom teeth. What i would like to know, is what is the recovery like for a procedure like this? How long until I am healed & do i have to wear bandages?

Depends on the amount of surgery.

+1

It is possible, it really depends on the amount of surgery.  Be sure to speak with your surgeon about your concerns.

Small irregularities can be scraped under local anesthesia in the office

+1

A small irregularity can be scraped down in the office under local anesthesia.  The procedure is easy and effective.  I only place a piece of tape on the corrected area for one day--but the areas areas I treat are small.  Don't do it too soon after surgery--some problems disappear--and your surgeon must be sure that the bump is soft enough to be scraped--not every imperfection is treatable this way.

Good luck.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

It may be a little early for this at 7 months but what you are describing certainly can be done under local anesthesia in the office similar to a dental procedure. Every person responds differently but it is likely you will need some taping of the nose for a week or so and you will have swelling on the bridge for a few weeks.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal surgery

+1

A revision after 6 months should be fine in most instances. The recovery depends on what you have done. Are the nasal bones going to be fractured? In any case these are questions you should explore with your surgeon.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Rhinoplasty revision

+1

most times revisions are not performed for about 12 months after the procedure. You will need bandages after for about a week normally. You should not be bruised as usually the bones do not need to be broken again. Some swelling is present, but your healing time should be shorter, depending on the amount of work that needs to be performed.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon