Having Rhinoplasty After Pregnancy?

How soon after I give birth can I have Rhinoplasty? And can I breast feed at the same time period as the surgery?

Rhinoplasty after pregnancy

+1

It is acceptable to have rhinoplasty a few months after you have given birth to your baby. However, you must be emotionally AND physically ready for an elective procedure. Breastfeeding can be done in the postoperative phase; however, narcotics do pass through breast milk for the first few days. To prepare, pumping and storing breast milk for this time period is advisable. I strongly encourage you to communicate with your OB/GYN about when would be best for you (and your baby) to pursue rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty after Pregnancy

+1

This is a question you should ask your OB physician. However, 2-3 months would be enough time as long as you are not breast feeding. Medications necessary for the nasal surgery , present in the breast milk, could be harmful to your baby.

Rhinoplasty after pregnancy

+1

Sarah,

This MUST be your first child. You are going to have your hands full with the baby and the last thing you will need is the stress of any cosmetic operation.

From a medical point of view, most doctors would recommend that you do NOT take certain medications which may enter your breast milk and be thereby administered to the baby. The list of such medications is very long.

Since breast feeding is extremely important to your baby's well being an development as well as your bonding with him/her, to be safe you will need to postpone taking such medications (and operations which will require you take such medications) until you are done breast feeding.

I hope this was helpful.

Rhinoplasty Soon After Pregnancy

+1

You can have it as soon as 3 months after delivery. You cannot breast feed for at least a week after surgery as you will be on antibiotics and other pain medicine. You will have to either supplement or pump a lot of milk and store it in advance.

Regards.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty after Pregnancy

+1

Dear Sarah

Your first concern is the health of your baby. If you are breast feeding I would not recommend surgery until after you have finished. Anesthetic drugs are going to be released in the milk and would or could be harmful to the baby. My other concern is the emotional effect. There are dramatic changes in hormone levels which may not only affect healing but mood swings as well.

Wait until you have finished breast feeding and you can have the surgery without worrying about multiple other factors as well. Good luck with your pregnancy.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and pregnancy or breast feeding

+1

Sarah123,

No elective surgery during pregnancy or breast feeding. Once you are done breast feeding, you may have your rhinoplasty surgery. You will need to be emotionally ready for the surgery too. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon