Will I Need a Revision Facelift and when Can It Be Done? (photo)

I am 6 weeks postop and extrememly disappointed with the results of my facelift. I had a lot of swelling appear a week postop but now most of the swelling and fluid have subsided and I am left with close to the same issue I had prior to surgery. Very lax skin under under my chin. One side of my face looks pretty good while the left side is horrible. My PS said that once all the swelling and fluid was gone the skin should shrink up. I am 53 years old with not a lot of elasicity in my skin.

6 weeks post op and not happy after a face lift

+2

I see all the skin in your neck. That would be pretty hard to see that get taken up with some extra healing. Usually you should have pretty tight neck around 6 weeks time and it will only get more loose with time. You might need a revision. If there is fluid in there I would suck it out and apply more pressure dressings but I think it looks like extra skin. Don't worry though this can be changed for you.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift revision

+2

Although you are only 6 wwekks out, I am not optimistic that the skin ecxess under your chin will contract and smooth out without surgical intervention. In my opinion, you weill need a redraping of the neck skin laterally, behind the ears. Correction of this much skin excess through a midline approach may leave an unacceptable vertical scar. I'm not certain if a true neck lift was also performed with the lower face lift or the the surgeon attempted to correct the excess neck skin through a facelift only. I believe its important to follow with your surgeon and discuss your concerns. In my experience, this extent of residual skin excess does not retract spontaneously.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait 6 months for revision

+1

Your photos show a lot of extra skin and fullness in your neck, yet your jowls look excellent. I would wait 6 months and re-evaluate, you may need a revision procedure. In the mean time wear a snug facial garment and try some ultrasound treatments to the excess skin like Ultherapy or Pelleve.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Revision Facelift

+1

I would wait at least 6 months and revise if necessary at that time.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Is a revision facelift necessary?

+1

6 weeks is still very soon after your procedure and you are still healing.  There are a few things to consider regarding your current condition:

1) Do the photos show improvement from your pre-operative status?
2) Was the area under your chin specifically addressed during your procedure, and did you communicate with your surgeon regarding this problem area?

Overall, it is difficult to predict how you will heal without having additional information about your procedure and knowing more about how your face looked prior to surgery.  I would recommend communicating these concerns to your surgeon, and he or she should be able to provide you with advice as to how your healing will progress and whether or not a touch up would be necessary. Thanks and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift - Will I Need a Revision Facelift and when Can It Be Done?

+1

It's hard to say from the photos alone and, of course, each result can reasonably only be judged when compared with the pre-op appearance.  That being said, if there is still skin remaining after your surgery (as appears to be the case) you may well benefit from a revision.  The timing depends on exactly what was done.  Did the surgeon lift up the skin all the way across the neck?  Was it a SMAS only?  These are questions that need to be answered before deciding to intervene again.  Even then, there are few absolutes in terms of timing and what needs to be done, but that's where you'll need to start.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Excess neck skin

+1

I would wait .. It is obviously still swolen. It may surprise everyone and contract. The again it may need a revision no sooner than 6 months.. Ride this out with your surgeon

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

What to expect 6 wks after facelift

+1

Thank you for the photos. It is still early to be thinking about a revision as there will e continued changes to your face over the next several months. If its the lax skin in the mid line neck that bothers you a minor revision to remove this through a small T shaped incision under the chin can be helpful. Discuss it with your surgeon at your next visit but be patient as your skin may continue to improve.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision to a past facelift

+1

I am uncertain at this time as to wether the skin below the neck will shrink down or not.  Didi the neck look tighter when the bandages were  first removed, and do you know if the submental area of the neck was surgically opened up during your surgery?  Were there sutures placed under the neck after the surgery?  I might suggest waiting for several months after the procedure before you make a decision about ths, but I also would want you to continue to use the judgement of your Plastic Surgeon in guiding you to decide if any further surgery will be needed or not

Opening the area up again to redrape the skin may be indicated in the future if this area does not respond.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

6 weeks post op from facelift

+1

Post operative recovery varys greatly from patient to patient.  We often tell our patients that we do not look for final results for at least 6 to 9 months, as it takes many months for all the inflammation to subside.  Swelling can affect symetry as well as skin laxity and give the appearance of a less than satisfactory result.  If you progress to final healing and feel that you require or desire a revision, your plastic surgeon should be able to provide you a suitable plan for a surgical revision 6 to 9 months from the date of surgery.  It would not be advisable to pursue a revision this early in your post operative recovery. 

Timothy Treece, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon