Will I Be Okay to Use Retin-A Micro One Day Prior to Fraxel Non-Ablative Laser Therapy for Acne Scars?

If I stop using Retin A Micro 0.01% one day prior to my Fraxel Laser treatment which is non ablative, Is that safe to do so.?

Avoid Retin-A for 1 week prior to laser therapy

Good question. I recommend avoiding any irritants and exfoliants to your skin for 1 week before your treatment, including any products containing retin-A, retinol, benzolyl peroxide, glycolye/salicylic acids, or astringents. Then your skin won't be so sensitive to the laser.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Retin-A prior to Fraxel Treatment..

I typically recommend our patients to stop the use of Retin-A's one week prior to any laser treatments.  This will make you less sensitive to the procedure and the ability to get optimal results. Good luck.

Dr. Grant Stevens Marina Plastic Surgery Associates Marina del Rey, CA The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

Retin-A & Fraxel

We suggest that Retin-A should not be used prior a Fraxel procedure.  Retin-A contains a form of vitamin A that can make you more sensitive to ultraviolet light.  We often stop Retin-one week before and one week after more agressive Fraxel laser treatments.

David Goldberg, MD

Fraxel is great but I discontinue retinoids before treatment

I would suggest you discontinue Retin-A immediately before Fraxel and for a few weeks after Fraxel.  The laser will do all of the work for you and Retin-A can make you needlessly irritated.

OK to use retin-a but ask your doctor doing your fraxel

I usually have patients stay on their retin-a prior to fraxel.  However, please ask your doctor to make sure.

Jay Zimmerman, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon