Retin-A Effectiveness Differ by Brands?

Are there any brands of Retin-A better than others with regard to the effectiveness?

No Head to Head Studies as far As effectiveness

+2

There are four branded tretinoin products: Retin A ( Ortho Derm); Atralin gel ( Coria); and Tretin-X ( Triax). There are a few generics out there that I know of including Altinac, Avita, and Tretinoin cream.

There are no effectiveness head to head studies I know of.

Atralin is a newer formulation. It contains hyaluronic acid and glycerin and has a slow delivery system to prevent irritation. Ortho also makes claims, which I believe, that their microsphere system offers a slower paced and more even delivery preventing irritation. I do think that Retin A by these two companies is much less irritating than its generic competitors. Tretin-X also has a modified delivery system to stymie ilrriation. In addition, they provide a foaming cleanser and a soothing moisturizer designed to be used with their tretinoin product.

If I were going to get the generic, I would chose either Avita or tretinoin cream by Spear. I prefer their formulations to other generics patients have brought in while crying about their facial irritation.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Is generic tretinoin as effective as Retin-A.

+1

Retin-A is the trade name for tretinoin manufactured by Ortho-McNeil-Janssen Pharmaceuticals.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no "consumer guide" type comparisons of the various generic forms of tretinoin. Therefore, it is a case of buyer beware.