Can Retin-A Give a Facelift Effect if Used Long Term?

Does Retin-A have a Facelift effect if used long term? Does Retin-A improve skin collagen production?

Great question!

+2

I wish more people were so pro-active to aging. If ,as a teen, you stay out of the sun, never go in a tannings bed, never smoke, use a braod spectrum sunscreen daily and use a prescription retinoid like Retin A or Tazorac/Avage, you will have spectacular skin that will stay very smooth and blemish free. Collagen will also not be broken down as quickly and new collagen will be stimulated. All these things can translate to never needing a facelift. It also helps to have high cheekbones and a strong jawline and chin and great teeth to hold up the face over time.

New Orleans Dermatologist

... studies in the 80s, yes...

+1
So THE answer is yes. However the effect is mild, but noticable and reproduciable. Griffith et al did the studies, in the 80s. Most good dermos prescribe retinoids as preventive rather than ''face life '' effect. 

My regime is to incorporate retinoid after a laser procedure as long term management. 

Regards

Dr Davin S Lim 
Laser and Cosmetic Dermatologist
Brisbane
Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Retin A Changes are Subtle

+1

The changes in Retin A are subtle and would not produce a "face lift" like effect.  Studies have shown that use over 6 months can increase collagen production which can help to diminish fine lines. 

Anthony Perri, MD
Houston Dermatologist