Will Retainers Shift Teeth Back Into Place 6 Months After Braces? (photo)

I got my braces off six months ago. My teeth shifted because I haven't worn my retainers ever since. If I wear them now, will my teeth go back to being straight?

Retainers

+2
The retainers can move them only if they have shifted very minimally. If they don't fit, you can go for a short duration smile correction treatment and then just remember to wear the retainers forever.

Leeds Cosmetic Dentist

Teeth shifting after not wearing retainers

+1

Retainers typically keep your teeth straight when worn just at night. For active tooth movement like your case they should be worn full time. If your retainer still fits you can start wearing it and you should see improved alignment quickly. Let your doctor know you're back on board, I'm sure he/she would be happy to make any needed adjustments.

Rob van den Berg, DDS, MS
San Ramon Orthodontist

Some Retainers Can Move Your Teeth a Bit

+1

It really depends on what type of retainers you have, and how far your teeth have moved from their original position. 

If your retainers don't fit at all that isn't a good sign, but it sounds like you can put them back in. Either way I'd swing by whoever gave you the retainers and tell them what happened. They may be able to make some adjustments with them to get your teeth moved back where they need to be.

Scott Frey, DDS
Allentown Orthodontist

Your retainer 6 mos after treatment

+1

It is possible, especially if you have your original retainer from when your braces were removed. However as Dr Koutsoukos said "The retainer is not to move teeth, but to maintain them in the position they should stay in after braces. You need to go back and speak with your orthodontist and see what he says." so don;t forget to take your retainers with you when you go for your appointment.

Don;t be embarrassed about going in, your not the first or the last to do this.

Jacqueline Demko, DDS, MSD
Chesterfield Orthodontist

Will wearing my retainer after my teeth shifted move them back?

+1

A retainer is a custom made removable device that helps the teeth maintain their position after braces.  You had your braces removed 6 months ago and have not worn any retainer and now your teeth have shifted back.The retainer is not to move teeth, but to maintain them in the position they should stay in after braces. You need to go back and speak with your orthodontist and see what he says. Do not put the retainer in now until you check with your Dr. first. It was made to retain your teeth in the position they were in after braces. Do not force the retainer on teeth that have already moved back.  See your doctor before you do anything else and do not wait!  Good luck!

George Koutsoukos, DDS
Valencia Cosmetic Dentist