Open Bite, Braces and Recessed Chin

I was diagnosed with an open bite and have some crowding. I'm 21 years old and have a recessed chin and a somewhat long face. Can the open bite and recessed chin be corrected with only braces+extractions at my age? This young girl had a more severe open bite but her bite and profile was corrected with braces and extractions.

Can open bite and recessive chin be corrected with braces?

+2

Although some degree of open bite might be corrected, your long face and recessive chin will not be improved.  To ideally correct these problems would involve a surgical treatment....sorry!

Saint Louis Orthodontist

Growth Helps a Recessed Chin Not Extractions

+1

I wouldn't expect the result you see in the photos for yourself. That girl grew her way out of a recessed chin, and grew a lot. In growing individuals an orthodontist can use certain appliances with growth to help enhance chin projection, but you are 21 and not growing, so really the only way for you to address your recessed chin is surgery (genioplasty or orthognathic surgery).

Braces (perhaps with extractions too) can most likely close down your bite, but if you are looking to make your chin more prominent the braces alone won't get you there in your case. Make sure you discuss all your goals for treatment with your orthodontist, so that he/she can help build a plan for treatment that gets you the result you want.

Allentown Orthodontist