Results from Gynecomastia Surgery After 6 Months - Puffy Nipples?

I got surgery for ginecomastia (gland+lipo) 6 months ago. From a month after the surgery my nipples started to get puffy again. It has been 6 month after the surgery, my nipples are still puffy, the doctor is saying that until 12 months it will not be flat and that the scares inside are making them puffy. I can notice a lumb underneath both nepples, doc says that those are scares but I think they are gland. It is normal to have the nipples puffys after 6 months from surgery? Thanks.

See your plastic surgeon

+2
During the healing and recovery process, there should be communication between you and your surgeon. If you are not happy, this should be communicated with your surgeon. Ask how and when revision surgery is performed. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Puffy nipples after Gynecomastia treatment

+2

usually puffy nipples are either caused by excess breast gland under the nipple or by excess scar tissue. In either case, you might consider excising breast tissue through a very small incision through the areola.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

6 months should be enough time for the majority of swelling to have resolved

+1
Under normal circumstances, 6 months should be enough time for the great majority of swelling to have resolved following gland excision and liposuction of gynecomastia. 

Possible reasons for persistent subareolar swelling would include under-resection of the glandular tissue, post-op bleeding into the subareolar “dead space” with subsequent thick scar formation, regrowth of the gynecomastia glandular tissue, or post-operative weight gain in the case of pseudo-gynecomastia.

Treatment of residual “puffy nipples” would depend on the exact cause.  Thick scar tissue can be treated with aggressive massage and/or corticosteroid injections directly into the scar tissue.

Under-resection of the gland or regrowth may require additional surgery to correct and possibly a thorough endocrine evaluation to rule out a continued stimulus for the growth of the breast tissue. 

Persistent or worsening fatty deposits in the breast area may be treated with additional liposuction, and post-operative weight gain should be addressed with a healthy diet and exercise.

I hope this answers your question.Good luck!

David F. Pratt, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Surgery Results?

+1

It sounds like the correct operation was done to treat the gynecomastia.  The tissue you are feeling may be either scar tissue or residual breast gland.

You have to be careful not to remove too much tissue and end up with a contour deformity/depression.

Puffy Nipples.will be better or not after 6 months?

+1

It is hard to answer this question accuretly without examinanig you.But generally in most,but not all cases,6 months is enough.In certain cases,that are coplex,large or saggy male breasts, it can take a year or more. Most of the swelling had subsided,but scares may remain and palpable for a longer period.All of this is true assuming the surgeon had excised the glandular tissue and removed enogh fatty tissue. I hope is has improved by now.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Persistent nipple puffiness after gynecomastia reduction

+1

After 6 months, the residual puffiness of the nipples is not likely to improve. It is either the result of residual hard breast tissue that remains if only liposuction was originally done or scar tissue if an open gynecomastia procedure was done. It is not rare in my experience with the male gynecomastia patient. About 1/3 of men will return for a secondary revisional procedure for exactly the problem of the persistent puffy nipple issue.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Puffy nipples after gynecomastia procedure

+1

If only liposuction was done for the chest, usually the puffiness was there before the suction. I call it a "nubbin" and it is a dense fibroglandular breast-like tissue that cannot be liposuctioned out. It will require some incision around the areola (pink skin around the nipple) in order to cut it out. In men these scars heal beautifully and are hidden in the natural color of the areola. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD

Gynecomastia

+1

After six months, it is rare to have swelling or scarring casing puffiness. if your doctor wants to wait 12 monthe then wait. You may need a revision, if you do not like it.

Have another consult by a plastic surgeon

Puffy nipples after gynecomastia

+1

Yes, it can be normal to have puffy nipples for 6 months after surgery but it really depends on what was done. If a circumareolar incision was used, it is not uncommon to have the puffiness persists for several months.

May Take 6-12 Months To See Final Results From Gynecomastia Surgery

+1

It’s not uncommon for patients to note contour irregularities following gynecomastia surgery. The majority of these cases occur because of scarring and swelling and resolve with time. This resolution can be facilitated with compression garments and massage. It typically takes six to twelve months to see a final result following surgery.

When residual contour irregularities persist for longer periods of time, this may be due to incompletely excised breast tissue. This commonly occurs in the sub areolar area and often results in puffy nipples. When this situation arises, revisional surgery is often necessary.

It’s important that you consult your surgeon so that you can be re-evaluated. A physical examination should determine whether revisional surgery is necessary. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon