Can True Gynecomastia (Glandular Tissues) Be Cured by Liposuction?

I have puffy nipples and I went to see a government plastic surgeon. After scanning she told me that the glandular tissue is about 2.5cm. She recommended that I skip the surgery as it is very mild. And if I really insist on doing it, it will be removed by liposuction and a "divider" to shave the tissues. No incision will be done. 1. Should I do the surgery? 2. Can liposuction really remove glandular tissues? 3. What is the size of the normal male breast tissue? 4. will there be scars?

Gynecomastia or growth of breast gland can NOT be treated only by liposuction

+2

True gynecomastia involves excess growth of breast gland tissue. liposuction, even ultrasonic or other types can only remove fat, and can NOT remove glandular tissue. Therefore, it is essential to actually excise breast tissue. This can be done via a small inicision over the areola at the time of chest liposuction.

Gynecomastia (male breast tissue) can be treated with liposuction and/or excision

+2

Male breast development, or gynecomastia, can cause feelings of self-consciousness and embarrassment for some men. 

Gynecomastia can be treated by a number of methods, primarily liposuction and/or excision of excess breast tissue.

Gynecomastia is "graded" from Grade I (mild) to Grade III (significant breast development, including droop and excess skin).  The type of treatment is dictated by the extent of the condition and its severity.

To answer your specific questions: 

I have puffy nipples and I went to see a government plastic surgeon. After scanning she told me that the glandular tissue is about 2.5cm. She recommended that I skip the surgery as it is very mild. And if I really insist on doing it, it will be removed by liposuction and a "divider" to shave the tissues. No incision will be done. 1. Should I do the surgery?

The decision to have surgery or not is a very personal one.  This can only be answered by YOU, after you have done all your homework and researched the options, including experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. 

2. Can liposuction really remove glandular tissues?

One type of liposuction is usually used for gynecomastia, as the tissue is more firm and fibrous than regular tissue.  The method is called ultrasonic-assisted liposuction, or UAL.  A common brand name machine is  called "VASER". 

Whether or not liposuction alone will remove all the tissue depends on your body.  I usually reserve the right to also make a small incision if needed, based on the results during surgery. 

3. What is the size of the normal male breast tissue?

The size of breast tissue in males varies significantly.  Factors associated with an increased amount of breast tissue include being overweight, having hormone imbalances, some medication or drug use, and puberty.  Rest assured that gynecomastia is quite common, and does not need to be treated if it is not of concern to you. 

4. will there be scars?

With ANY Plastic Surgical procedure, there are scars.  The location and degree of scarring will be minimized by "hiding" incisions in areas that are not visible in most situations.  Genetics plays the number one role in determining the quality of your scars.  Look to other areas of your body to see how your scars heal. 

Karen M. Horton, MD

Gynecomastia

+2

Typically fat is removed via liposuction and glandular tissue is removed via direct excision.To optimize the result both components need to be addressed.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

When Gynecomastia is Caused by Growth of Glandular Breast Tissue, Surgical Excision is Usually Necessary to Correct the Problem

+1

When gynecomastia is caused by growth of glandular breast tissue surgical excision is usually necessary to correct the problem. In contrast, when breast growth occurs because of fat deposition, liposuction is the treatment of choice.

Glandular tissue tends to be thicker and more fibrous than fatty tissue. When breast tissue is present it can be very difficult to pass a liposuction canula through the tissue. For this reason, liposuction is rarely effective when glandular tissue is present.

Glandular tissue usually requires surgical excision. This can be performed through a periareolar incision with minimal scarring. Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon should help determine what specific option is best for you.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Surgery for Gynecomastia

+1

Gynecomastia comes in many sizes. Apparently you have a very mild form where your nipple is prominent and maybe there is some fullness of the breast itself.  The nipple prominence is caused by the breast bud which is breast glandular tissue that is generally palpable behind the nipple as a rubbery firm ball almost like a seed in a soft fruit.  That firm tissue cannot be liposuctioned, it has to be removed surgically.  Normal male chests have palpable breast buds but so long as they remain invisible nobody cares.  Most patients with gynecomastia that request treatment will have a combination of excess of fat as well as palpable glandular tissue.  Some patients particularly after massive weight loss will also have excess of skin with folds that require extensive resection and nipple relocation in the form of a free nipple graft.  For everybody in between that and your case Liposuction alone or a combination of Liposuction and glandular resection will produce the desired effect.   

Juan A. Brou, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Surgery

+1

I have found that gynecomastia is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue, then liposculpture surgery alone may suffice.

I would strongly suggest that you make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. 

Technique for removal of male glandular breast tissue

+1
If you have glandular breast tissue, then liposuction will not remove it. If the glandular component is relatively small when compared to the fatty tissue, then what your surgeon may be suggesting is liposuction to alleviate rather than completely resect the condition. While this is less expensive, it will not produce optimal results.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

True gynecomastia is not amenable to liposuction

+1

True gynecomastia basically means that the enalrged breasts are due to acual growth of breast tisue and not fatty tissue. This type of condition needs a procedure called subcutaneous mastectomy which is performed under general anesthesia. A cut is made at the lower border of the areola and the actual breast tissue is cut out and sent to the laboratory.  Drains are inserted for 3-4 days to allow any acumulation of blood to be removed. Most patients can return to non-strenuous work after 4-5 days. The results can be quite dramatic

George Lefkovits, MD

Is liposuction adequate treatment for gynecomastia?

+1

There are reports of successful treatment of glandular gynecomastia with a combination of liposuction and excision through one of the liposuction portals using an arthroscopic shaver.  I am guessing that this is what you mean by a divider.  If your surgeon has experience with this technique it is definitely reasonable and will avoid a periareolar scar.

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon