Do Restylane or Perlane Hurt Hair Follicles?

Does restylane, perlane, hurt hair follicles? Exercising reduce the longetivity? I am a guy and if i inject some on my face (jaw or chin), does it affect hair growth? And i exericse alot, does exericising and sweating and movement in the recipient area cause it to not long as long?

Restylane - Do Restylane or Perlane Hurt Hair Follicles?

+1

I am unaware of any harmful effects of fillers such as Restylane and Perlane on hair follicles.

There is always the potential for rare or unexplained reactions, even to the simplest procedure.  And in the event of an elevated-pressure phenomenon (tension underneath the skin secondary to swelling or bleeding), the hair follicles may be affected and the hair may fall out.  It would normally regrow afterwards.

So - in general, no effect on hair follicles.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Restylane will not affect hair growth

+1

Restylane won't be a detriment to your hair growtth. By the next day you can exercise regularly.  When Restylane is injected in the lips, some physicians comment that those patients who are more expressive and loquacious don't retain the product for as long a time as those whose lips move less.  This is not a proven concept, and does not indicate that systemic exercise would remove your Restylane quicker.  It might cause sooner resolution theoretically but it is not proven in a medical study.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Do Fillers Hurt Hair Follicles?

+1

No -- fillers are injected in the skin of the dermis (deeper layer), the fat or even deeper over the bone.  They do no damage to hair follicles.

Deborah Sarnoff, MD

Restylane and Perlane injections have no effect oh hair follicles.

+1

Injecting Restylane, Perlane or other soft tissue fillers would not have nay effect on the beard follicles.  You can, IMHO, exercise after filler injections after a day or so.  We ask patients not to due strenuous activity immediately after filler injections because it is a needle based treatment and there is a risk of increased bruising and swelling for a day or so.

Longevity of Restylane and Perlane in Athletes; Effect on Hair Follicles

+1

Hi akuma,

Restylane and Perlane will not harm your hair follicles, and it is okay to continue physical activity after injections.  I am not aware of any studies on the longevity of Restylane in athletes.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Hyaluronic Acid Fillers, Hair Follicles and Exercising.

+1
Restylane, Perlane and the other hyaluronic acid fillers have not been shown to disrupt the hair follicles, nor has exercising been shown to affect the efficacy or longevity of the filler. We do ask my patients not to exercise for a 24 hr period after their treatment.

Anifat Balogun, MD

Restylane and Hair Follicles

+1

There are no reports in the literature that Restylane damages hair follicles. Restylane is a hyaluronic acid, which is a natural component of the skin, so I do see any reason why it would damage hair follicles at all. Dr. Behnam.

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and exercise

+1

To answer the first part of your question, Restylane is not known to affect hair follicles. 

As for Restylane and exercise, there are anecdotal reports that hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane do dissolve faster in patients who regularly participate in strenuous exercize.  Nothing in the literature so far, but this opinion has been expressed by a number of cosmetic dermatologists.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

This is not reported.

+1

Filler services are extremely popular with men who really like the no hassle factor in getting these services.  Generally we advise our patients no exercise for 24 hours to reduce the risk of bruising.  I am located in West Los Angeles and many of my patients are gym rats.  This does not seem to affect the longevity of the service.