Can Restylane Be Manipulated After Injection?

After having Restylane injected into my lips last week, the swelling has gone down, but I don't like the precise placement of the line in my upper lip. My injector manipulates the filler after injection, so I have been pinching my lip to move it more to the middle of the lip. Will this work? How long after injection is the product still able to be manipulated?

Don't massage on your own

+1
Please do not massage the area. Massage should be performed by your injector, so it's best if you see your injector for a followup if the lumps don't resolve themselves in a week or so.

Restylane and massage

+1

Rather than do the massage/manipulation yourself, I would return to your provider to have them do this for you. It's definitely not uncommon to massage/manipulate, but I always recommend the patient return for better results.

Sam Naficy, MD

Can Restylane be Manipulated After Injection?

+1

Provided that Restylane is injected in the appropriate anatomic compartment, it can be manipulated to a minimal degree directly after the injection. I find it hard to believe that any manipulation 24 hours later will lead to a positive result. If Restylane is injected outside the borders of the desired compartment, manipulation can cause further displacement of the filler and unfavorable results. I would not suggest that you continue to massage or manipulate the site of the injections without consulting with your doctor. My advice to you is to get appropriate instructions to do after the procedure and follow them strictly. If you're not satisfied with the result, consult your doctor and deal with the problem. If you're not satisfied with the answers, get a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Remember to inquire about their experience with the filler in question.

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

+1

In our practice we usually manipulate the product right after it is injected.  You can manipulate the product for about a week after injections.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

+1

Not only can fillers be manipulated after injection, they should be IMHO.  Once any filler be it Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane, Radieese or Sculptra...we always take time to massage and shape the injected filler material properly.  We then ask all filler patients to refrain massaging the area (except for Sculptra that requires continued massage).  The filler becomes integrated into the tissues within the first several days after which it's no longer able to be manipulated.  

Restylane manipulation post treatment

+1

Yes, restylane can be manipulated after treatment.  If you do not like the position, alert the injector.  Do not attempt to correct on your own.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Manipulating Restylane needs to be done by the doctor!

+1

Yes, it can be moved around for quite awhile after it's been injected, which is why I always tell my patients not to do this! Moving it around yourself can move it into a bad area, even into an area that can block blood flow in the lips, so if you think it needs to be adjusted, please return to your injector. Don't try to move it around yourself!!!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Manipulation of Restylane After Injection

+1

I have massaged Restylane for my patients weeks after injection, with good results.  Your product should be able to be smoothed out via massage.  I reccommend returning to your injector, who should do this for free, rather than trying it yourself.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

May or may not work.

+1

I never want my patients to manipulate the filler themselves.  Generally it is difficult to do this manipulation and get things right.  It is best to accurately place the Restylane in the first place.  Precise placement of a tiny bead of Restylane along the vermillion edge is critical.  This avoids the white roll and the red roll from looking like they are part of the same hot dog.  The Restylane can also be shaped with the enzyme hyaluronidase.  Your injector may not be sufficiently advanced to help you.  Consider see Dr. Julie Woodward at Duke to have this issue corrected.